Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm in the wrong forum I apologize. I spend most of my time in a 13' raft, but would like to purchase a two person inflatable kayak, canoe, whatever they are called, that my wife and I can throw in the Roaring Fork and other rivers when we want to get on the river quickly. I've seen various makes, shapes, etc. and not sure where to start. Most of our time will be spent in Class 2/2+ maybe 3 water. I'm 6'4" tall so need some room to stretch out. Back support would be nice. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought one this summer. Love the darn thing! After doing some research I bought the Aire Outfitter 2.

Sara D at the Aire factory store gave great advice and I swapped my Cheetah seats out for 12 inch thwarts. Way more comfy.

I also put the skeg kit on it and the thing paddles straight as an arrow for lake or estuary/ sea use.

With just me in the boat it can handle some major water. I've done lots of class 3 and with more experience I'll head for even bigger.

It has whet my appetite for a cat though. :cool:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Aire boats are great. They make both inflatable kayaks and inflatable Canoes. Tributary boats seem to hold up quite well also. For the type of boating you plan to do I think any IK you are comfortable in will work just fine. If you want to run whitewater, then the boat you choose is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Caw! Caw!
66 Posts
I have an NRS Outlaw. I took the "thwart seat" out of it, and replaced it with an Aire Cheetah Chair. It's the most comfortable IK I've ever paddled.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi

I love single IK's I have owned the Aire force and the sitar ik. Had lots of fun.

I am not a fan of tandem IK's unless used solo.

The tandem ik is to unstable and to difficult to communicate front to back for me.

I suggest you rethink and consider a small r2 raft.....my high side paddle cat rolled up to almost the same size as my aire force solo ik.

A raft like a mini max, paddlecat, shredder, aire puma ect.... is SUPER fun for 2......siting side by side makes conversation easy........class I I I -V water is in the performance envelope of these boats.

It is true these boats do cost more.....but they are much more versatile and capable boats.......I urge you to at least consider a r2 boat over a tandem ik........I personally feel the hydside mini max rocks as a colorado r2 boat...it rolls small (my sotar solo ik rolled larger)...it is very light...and it handles like a dream.

Have fun what ever you get

Scott

·
Registered
432 Posts
Scott makes some good points (tandem IK vs. small raft/shredder).
However, my wife (Your Wife May Vary) doesn't like the paddling position sitting on a side tube of a raft/shredder/paddlecat --her back specifically doesn't like the twist (and she doesn't want to straddle). So I sold the Hyside Paddlecat and Minimax raft (got larger raft with oarframe). When we want to be close to the water and travel light, we sometimes tandem IK, but usually prefer the maneuverability and independence of single IKs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So many boats

I have a super lynx, tomcat solo, Hyside mini max, Jackson zen, Jackson Riviera. Plus other boats that I have sold. I love them all.

The most useful is the super lynx. Works decent on flat water, moderate ww, room enough for dogs, a cooler, bags etc.

Can be run solo easily.

The mini max is awesome for up to 4 adults but don't try to paddle flat water!

Tomcat solo / lynx I, awesome for low stress ww. Great for introducing people to ww. Both are solid. Not great on flat water.

For utility on a budget, the Tomcat tandem is unbeatable. Add a skeg if you want to do lots of flat water. Highly recommend a k pump btw. Enjoy

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
I agree with Johnovice, I'm not a giant fan of tandem IK's, but solo IK's (which I own 6 of) are great. you've got the control of your own boat, they handle great. and everybody is comfortable and there is no fighting over control of the boat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good take on two solo boats vs. A tandem. Some people like being together in a boat, others prefer separate boats. Comes down to very personal preference. No wrong answer. Side bar, nice thing about the super lynx, the tips are lower than the other lynx boats for less wind resistance. And the long water line adds speed. On the down side it punches holes that other ik's ride over. 2c

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,265 Posts
Duckeys are boring get a couple of solo canoes

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Dakota, you should post this is the Inflatable Kayak forum on Mountainbuzz. It's a great place to discuss IKs and duckies, plan trips, and talk about all things IK".

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with all of Shredder Scott's points. Guiding duckies on the Kern we would call the 2-man Padillacs "Divorce Boats." I know I'm not the only one to use that term. We would give the person in a back a raft paddle and tell them to steer while the front person was the muscle--it was the only way to keep them from killing themselves. I've paddled my 2-man Bandit a couple times with the girlfriend now wife and it was fun, but it is a challenge. We both do better in our own separate IKs.

Now my wife's performance really started to improve when we purchased a Culebra from Jack's Plastic in 2008. R2ing together greatly increased her understanding of river dynamics and I was able to explain all the points of reading water since she was right next to me. Now we run class IV hardly even having to say a word... Also, I can strap a light two-dimensional frame to the Culebra and get on the water solo and fast.

My Bandit II is managable paddled solo, but a one-man is way better. I believe the Lynx or Aire Outfitter are the best overall design. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts