Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scoop...I bought a creek boat in September but have not been able to paddle it yet because all the rivers are too low, so I thought I would have to wait till spring. We recently had a freak rainstorm that has dramatically raised the levels and I am sure it won't last long. The only problem is...the highs for tomorrow are only 39 degrees brrrrrr....... Am I nuts to go paddling? I don't think the level will last more than a few days this way.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
You'd have to be nuts not to go paddling.

There are starving kids in india right now that would literally kill a man in order to go kayaking. You should go paddle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Definitely go. Some of my best days have been in that weather. Just be sure to have a good crew with you.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
to me it would depend on the sun, if you have sunshine 39 is do-able. if it is 39 degrees with rain/snow, clouds, and wind...i would just wait, or drive somewhere with better conditions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...for all the input. Forcast is mixed sun and cloud, wind gusting to 30mph, but I can hardly stand looking at my new Jackson Little Hero just sitting in the basement.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dress warm and go...not much different the boating in April. We turn to pansies over the summer and forget that we were boating in snow early season. Looking forward to the Ark in Nov/Dec.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My rule is double digits. I think at that point it becomes a safety issue. Below 20 you get these cool sheets of ice that form on your life jacket, helmet, paddle, skirt, boat, etc.

The secret is jog for 10 minutes to the put in. By revving up the engine, you open up your circulatory system. That and mittens. Mmmmmm Mittens.

Peter

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you want to be warm always, just get a drysuit. They really change your whole perspective on what days you are willing to paddle. Hey you might really even enjoy a snow paddling day with that piece of gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts