Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace the old standby Coleman with an LED lantern for use on hunting trips and possible raft trips, though we've found that on raft trips we don't use a lantern because it's light so late.

Can anyone recommend a good LED lantern that is reasonably durable, has good run time, and produces a "warmer" light than your standard LED bulb?

TIA

·
Registered
401 Posts
Maybe keep the Coleman for its form that has worked before; The hood and central metal assembly and the metal enclosed base.
Fix tightly as many Luxeon, Creed, etc star-type board LED's as can be physically attached and/or desired, wired in parallel to that central metal assembly ( Think Heat Dissipation )
Then fit either a LION or replaceable batteries into the bottom and a Voltage Regulator-type Voltage matching Power Supply, switch and you're good to go.
If just left open to the elements it would run fine after just a short time after immersion. Probably most important would be for the battery terminals to be either well drained or tightly sealed. Might be a little dimmer until it dries out. Might work underwater to some extent, IE .... faster battery drain.
If LION, they could just be sealed in the bottom, but maybe not so good for long trips.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I got one of these. I've been very, very happy with it and it is super bright (3 levels). It also has a red mode but it's not quite bright enough to really do major work by but I've done dishes by it. I typically take the top off and hang it upside down thereby creating a wide expanse of light.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Problem is that plastic lanterns don't dissipate the heat. So you will always be disappointed performance vs. weight.
And they break easily, especially when cold.
Are you referring to my recco with the heat? I assume you are referring to heat from an external source because the LEDs on this lamp produce very little heat. Furthermore, I've used this in temps well below zero without issue. It also is water resistant and it floats.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sierra trading post has the smaller Black Diamond Orbit LED lanterns on sale for $22 - but if you sign up for their emails you can get a 35% off coupon making it $14 and change. I am very happy with mine. I also have a BD Apollo lantern. These two were our lighting for a 24 day Grand trip and worked great - plus some battery powered string lights mainly for ambiance. Color wise they aren't super cool or super warm.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The original posters requirement was to replace a Coleman lantern.
The amount of light thrown off by a Coleman lantern is significant. No plastic LED-based lantern can even come close. They are basically flashlights / Headlamps that look like a lantern.
Heat dissipation is necessary for higher candlepower so look for something with some heft. Like shopping for a good power amp.

·
Registered
401 Posts
There is really no way to replicate a Coleman lanterns performance with LED's. Certainly nothing exists today or can even get close.
Anyone wanting to make one, though, needs to figure out the best way to get the heat off the LED's and what is the best battery for how long it needs to burn and in what conditions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think Black Diamond is resting on their laurels. There are much more powerful Leds out these days but BD does not use them. Titan is 250 lumens vs 300 lumens for 30 day lantern and it costs less. The Best LED Lantern | The Sweethome The most powerful Leds use lithium Ion batteries I have a small li on hand held that puts out over 1000 lumens (battery is about double aa size).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts