Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya friends,
I just took the plunge and bought a pair of 15' wave destroyer tubes. Hell yeah I'm stoked!!!!
I got on the madcatr list but I'm a year out. Anybody have a loaner frame, rental, inexpensive option to get me on the water? I'm in missoula.
Kasper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did, he's gonna try and get one to me for the spring season, but til then im on my own. I have some coast trips in the works for this fall and am hoping to get into something.....can't let those sexy tubes gather dust ya know?!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was torn between a Madcatr and PRE frame for my Legend but just couldn't wait a year. Love my PRE. Less expensive,lightweight,customized,etc...

Madcatr's are sweet but definitely don't overlook a PRE frame.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
BarryDingle said:
I was torn between a Madcatr and PRE frame for my Legend but just couldn't wait a year. Love my PRE. Less expensive,lightweight,customized,etc...

Madcatr's are sweet but definitely don't overlook a PRE frame.
I am not sure the PRE frame is much lighter than a NRS frame. Better design perhaps, much more utility if your gear fits in it. But nowhere near as much as a welded aluminum frame.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I honestly don't know. Never said it was. I do know that it's waay lighter than my best friends cat w NRS frame. and that's BEFORE his takes on water ;)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
BarryDingle said:
I honestly don't know. Never said it was. I do know that it's waay lighter than my best friends cat w NRS frame. and that's BEFORE his takes on water ;)
Some weep holes will fix that

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I am confident that they are MUCH lighter. They are supposedly almost as light as aluminum, Ronnie used smaller gauge steel since it is stronger, and ends up nearly as light. However I see a lot more bent bars on PRE/steel frames than on any aluminum frame, and I know I've done my best to trash mine (Madcatr).

If I got my first cat and had to wait a year for a frame I'd go with PRE. The main reason is because if you've never used Dave's foot loops you won't know what you are missing, and will be just fine. MANY excellent cat boaters have frames with the traditional center-foot position, and this is the most significant difference. So, I'd say call Ted or Ronnie and get a frame in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am confident that they are MUCH lighter. They are supposedly almost as light as aluminum, Ronnie used smaller gauge steel since it is stronger, and ends up nearly as light. However I see a lot more bent bars on PRE/steel frames than on any aluminum frame, and I know I've done my best to trash mine (Madcatr).

If I got my first cat and had to wait a year for a frame I'd go with PRE. The main reason is because if you've never used Dave's foot loops you won't know what you are missing, and will be just fine. MANY excellent cat boaters have frames with the traditional center-foot position, and this is the most significant difference. So, I'd say call Ted or Ronnie and get a frame in a couple of weeks.

FYI PRE standard frame is 56 lbs and flyweight is 47 lbs
Our standard "Ultralight" frame features: 1" steel tubing, quick release fold down adjustable oar stands, adjustable seat mount system, and scout bars (which can be full length for cooler and/or dry box support). Weight is about 56 pounds (without seat.) For the boater seeking the ultimate in lightweight equipment, our "Flyweight" frame has the same features, only with 3/4" steel tube construction, weighing in at only about 47 pounds!

I'll tally an equivalent 66" wide by 88" long NRS frame, which has 4 total crossbars spanning from side rail to siderail..

16lbs 4 crossbars @ 62" each pipe
2lbs seat plate welded on a crossbar for seatbar
11lbs pair of 88" long top rails
12lbs pair of 96" drop rails (bent for 88")
4lbs pipe used in adjustable footbar
4lbs pair of nrs towers
17lbs for 16 lopros

I tally about 66 lbs for the NRS frame. MUCH lighter than the NRS? Only if you are talking about the flyweight version IMO easy to dent ...

·
Registered
765 Posts
You forgot to factor in the 8lbs per gallon of h20 that the NRS absorbs,unless you put in weep holes ;)

Yup. 10lbs is 10lbs(generous guesstimate),take it where you get it. I appreciated every pound when I was loading and unloading it by myself and doin multiple laps on my local river this past season.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
BarryDingle said:
You forgot to factor in the 8lbs per gallon of h20 that the NRS absorbs,unless you put in weep holes ;)

Yup. 10lbs is 10lbs(generous guesstimate),take it where you get it. I appreciated every pound when I was loading and unloading it by myself and doin multiple laps on my local river this past season.
$600 is a fair price for their frame. And yes with NRS almost a requirement to drill the weepholes, especially if you store the frame outdoors where it can freeze. I thought i got out all the water in my frame but was surprised when i twisted the footbar level on the frame hanging overhead and took a bath

On the plus side all that extra water makes grat ballast for punching holes!!! :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I would say the smallest that works. Put one on the bottom of each end of the drop rail. Lowest point on the drop rails

Water gets into the pipe at the lopro junction. Alternatively you could remove the lopros and gunk the ends of the pipe with silicon caulk will prevent the water from entering in the first place

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm kinda torn, Ronnie (pre) seems great and his work is clearly top notch. On the other hand I have almost all the spare nrs parts i'd need (just need $165 drop rails) to get through the spring season until Madcatr Dave could hook up a loaner.

And on another hand, I don't want to sound arrogant, so count it as naive maybe, but is 10-20 lbs really that much of an issue? I've always been more concerned with durability than weight and thought a little more weight just requires building more physical strength. I know this is true with backpacks (within reason), but how about with boats?

The Madcatr foot bars are sweet, and the tower adjustment is really clean, but + $650 with powdercoating over the PRE? For 10-15 lbs? I'm starting to think maybe i've been on crazy pills.

on the other hand....

Thoughts friends?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Well what the hell you never said that?!?! Post everywhere that you need to borrow drop rails and get by for a while. Someone's got to have some sitting around. Post on yahoo- idaho, northwest whitewater. How wide?

On weight, everything matters for surfing and maneuvering. Go for as little weight as you can, especially since your boat is already bigger. 10-20 lbs here and there and it does add up. If it's not a feature (like i prefer ronny's posilockers even though they heavy) choose light

1 - 20 of 40 Posts