Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for someone to accompany me down the Nantahala on 16 or 17 of Sept. I'm a novice, have a good roll, spent a good bit of time in the ocean surf, but only been on whitewater (class 2, hole in the Saluda river, Columbia SC) on 2 occassions. Have been described as an aggressive learner by the instructor I use (he also works for the County Parks & Rec Comm in Charleston, but teaches me privately).
I just want someone to accompany me down, just in case! Can be just one person, or a group who doesn't mind me tagging along. I am prepared to pay, but the reason I'm posting here is I'm not prepared to pay the rate NOC quoted me ($175 - I only want to run it once, not spend all day parking & playing).
If anyone will help me out I will definitley appreciate it! Call me (David) at 843 296 5083 or email me at [email protected]rthlink.net.
Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dude:

I have spent some quality time on the Nanty, alas, I'm in Colorado and can't join the fun.

I am surmising you are talking about putting in a mile or so above the drop at NOC. This whole stretch is totally user friendly for new boaters; heck NOC takes its beginner classes down here on the second day.

There are no real bad consequences [except maybe chasing down your boat if you swim.] As I recall, there are no technical moves, just one wave train that is a snap and then the drop at NOC. This is much easier than it looks and requires only that you keep a blade in the water.

I'd suggest you get to the put-in and just hang until more folks show up, then ask to join in.

Good luck.

dvc

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should have not problems finding a group to paddle with. There are almost always enough people to join and leave group to travel at a rate you like.

It is good learning river.

If you are going to be there on a Friday, you may be able to take the river runner's trip with NOC (~$100). That should get you more than oriented to paddle it yourself.

There is always a fair amount of raft traffic so I do not worry about paddling alone on that river.

NOC will shuttle you for $5 or so if you want flexiblity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts