Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My launch date is two weeks away and it's too late to send in a camping request to Navajo Nation. My group size is in flux and I need a permit for last night at Oljeto. I am told I can get a permit in person from the Four Corners Monument office, I've always done mine by mail.

Has anyone actually done this? It's not a far drive from Bluff (an hour or so), but I'd hate to get there and face a closed office or something.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll call Silas. This must be something new - I remember getting a permit for Slickhorn E years ago.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You are poaching if camping river left above the

assigned campsites. The Nav permits have actually gotten pricey this last year.

·
CBrow
72 Posts
assigned campsites. The Nav permits have actually gotten pricey this last year.
Yeah, I paid for Navajo permits for the past several years and specifically requested a camp at Chinle only to find all Chinle camps occupied. Seems our Navajo friends have no problem accepting payment for specific camps but don't guarantee you that camp. I quit reserving Navajo campsites this year as I have sent them nearly 200 bucks over the past several years for nothing. This year we camped at Lime and observed several vehicles on the ridge line above Chinle with occupants watching us through binoculars. They stayed for several hours. I am assuming they were monitoring the Chinle camps for trespassers. And yeah, all camps below Government are assigned by the BLM including Oljeto.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Above Gov't, I've never requested a particular site from the Navajos, I just thought you paid by day and took your chances.

I know the BLM assigned the camps below Gov't, but in years past I was told I still had to pay the Navajos if I was at Trimble, Oljeto or Slick E.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you decide to buy Navajo permits, you can buy them at the Four Corners kiosk. I bought some for a July Chinle stopover when I was passing through at the end of March. Bring cash, they do not accept credit cards. Cost is $12 per person per day.

If you forget cash there is an ATM at the Tec Nos Pos trading post about five miles west of Four Corners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts