Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon driving up the Cache La Poudre River outside Fort Collins, CO on Sunday afternoon with my wife, dog, and creek boat, we passed a narrow section of the river which I was told is called the Narrows. Nobody was around. This section looked very difficult! After studying it with the slim intent of kayaking a section that has possibly never been run at this level, I decided that my skills might be up for it. While kayaking the steep gradient with utmost focus, I could not help but notice fishermen and Harley Davidson motorcyclists cheering me on as if I was the first to ever kayak this part of the river at this level.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum knows of anyone else who has tackled this section of the Cache La Poudre. The Gauge at Pineview Falls which is painted in orange numbers read 1.5

·
Registered
323 Posts

Wow 1.5 on the pineview gauge.. Must of felt huge in there. It has been run back in the 80's but never that high.. Must have been a epic day.. I am looking forward to the go pro footage you must have!

Congrats..

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have heard rumors of this Cache La Poudre amoungst motorcycle gangs and old school fisherman but did not believe it actually existed. Congratulations on finding this new and undiscovered river drainage. You now have the right to name it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just checked out all the Harley and flyfishing sites and there was no mention of this "claimed" descent. I think i have to call BS here. .....unless the dog can vouch for you.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Let me "drop" this on ya...If you'd ride your "motorcycle" up there more often you'd have seen its been run a few times :p

Oh no I didn't!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys! My skills have obviously improved and I now plan to start running the nar. What about Pineview Falls? That looks intense! Is there anything up higher? Flowtorch, you seem really cool. PM me if you want to run the Narrows.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
ive heard rumors that deep in the canyons of the west there is a place called "gore canyon", filled with huge unrunnable cascades and major waterfalls. people dont even walk in there let alone take a boat in. if you want to commit suicide then you should try to claim the 1st D of that. but i dont think anyone would come out of there in one piece.

they call it gore because if you go in there the river will gore you to pieces and you will die.

but still...if you lived to tell the story of the narrows then you might be the man for the job of an epic crazy first d like that though

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Me and my posse fired up the middle and lower nar last year. The natives there French it up and call it the gnar.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Access

I've also heard rumors of this run but heard that just getting to the put in is an ordeal that makes it virtually inaccessible. Kudos to you for being intrepid enough to even attempt this by yourself when nobody else would even consider it. Man, what would you have done if your kayak had turned over?

·
Registered
75 Posts
ive heard rumors that deep in the canyons of the west there is a place called "gore canyon", filled with huge unrunnable cascades and major waterfalls. people dont even walk in there let alone take a boat in. if you want to commit suicide then you should try to claim the 1st D of that. but i dont think anyone would come out of there in one piece.

they call it gore because if you go in there the river will gore you to pieces and you will die.

but still...if you lived to tell the story of the narrows then you might be the man for the job of an epic crazy first d like that though
I have also heard of this Canyon of Death. If you decide to FD this please tell everyone so a film crew can be arranged.

·
Registered
950 Posts
They call it gore because if you go in there the river will gore you to pieces and you will die.

I'm afraid to ask why they call it dildo rock and what it will do to you on the Gauley?

Penisbuster parfait?

Think I'll stay away from those! Anybody here ran the Cheoah? Trying to justify the 11 hr drive from Little Rock.

·
Registered
786 Posts
first 180 foot waterfalls and now the narrows at 1.5 - kids these days are crazy. I just wonder how far the progression of the sport can go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts