Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lowell
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! I attend McGill University in Quebec and my school has done pool sessions for years in our school's pool as a part of the outdoors club. New administration and rules at the gym are causing the gym to want to say "no more kayak and gear storage at the pool". Without a place to store our kayaks at the pool, we won't be able to have pool sessions, which means no more whitewater kayaking club.
When I bring this up to other administration of the outdoors club, they aren't as impassioned as I am about the reality that without pool sessions, whitewater kayaking as a school group will be over!
Please help me. I am a passionate paddler. I have my own gear and boats which I keep in my own apartment but I can't store 20 boats there!! Paddling gets me through university. Without it I don't know what I'd do....
Any help/advice appreciated:)

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Just off the top of my head I would encourage you to first and foremost reach out to any parent paddling clubs that might be in the area. Look through the list of American Whitewater affiliate clubs and start with the closest one to you. After that I would recommend attempting to find local businesses that might want to sponsor your club. You can promise them advertising by printing up banners that have their name on them and hang them at every event you have, and use the proceeds to rent a storage locker.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There are lots of paddlers in Quebec. I'd probably start with https://www.facebook.com/quebecwhitewater/. This forum is heavily populated by Colorado kayakers, so you'll probably have better luck somewhere more local.

There's a local kayak polo group here, though, who store their boats in an enclosed trailer in the parking lot during the kayak polo season. Maybe you could find someone with a trailer you could borrow and park?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, and had the same advice for an enclosed trailer. I'm not sure where they park it during the off-season (summer), but you may get some good ideas by contacting the folks that run it.
http://www.mkp.kayakpolo.com/main.php

They are doing a great thing here in Fort Collins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts