Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Beater
232 Posts
@mcfarrel - perfect, thanks! I'm thinking about doing an aluminum hatch cover and was wondering how to support it on the sides, looks like DR just did a cutout for the railing fittings. Gotta be lighter weight than the HDPE hatch covers they have done in the past. Do you happen to know if they used 3/16 or 1/4" aluminum sheet? I would think that 1/8" might sag...

·
Registered
280 Posts
@mcfarrel - perfect, thanks! I'm thinking about doing an aluminum hatch cover and was wondering how to support it on the sides, looks like DR just did a cutout for the railing fittings. Gotta be lighter weight than the HDPE hatch covers they have done in the past. Do you happen to know if they used 3/16 or 1/4" aluminum sheet? I would think that 1/8" might sag...
I have not measured it but I would think it's 1/8" maybe 5/32" at best; 3/16 and especially 1/4" would be really heavy. They do offer to put a brace under the hatch which I thought I initially wanted but I did not choose that option because of limited space under the hatch and ultimately it will be supported by the ammo cans in the compartment.

I'm not sure of the weight savings vs poly deck. One difference is the quality of the hinge. DRE makes the poly deck hinges but they still slide around some.

One consideration I did have to make for the hatch adjacent to my Canyon 150 was adding an additional crossbar for the cooler to rest on. This way there was a dedicated spot for the hatch lid to land on.

·
Beater
232 Posts
I have not measured it but I would think it's 1/8" maybe 5/32" at best; 3/16 and especially 1/4" would be really heavy. They do offer to put a brace under the hatch which I thought I initially wanted but I did not choose that option because of limited space under the hatch and ultimately it will be supported by the ammo cans in the compartment.

I'm not sure of the weight savings vs poly deck. One difference is the quality of the hinge. DRE makes the poly deck hinges but they still slide around some.

One consideration I did have to make for the hatch adjacent to my Canyon 150 was adding an additional crossbar for the cooler to rest on. This way there was a dedicated spot for the hatch lid to land on.
I had @BGillespie weld on some round stock for my front (plywood) deck since the Prospector cooler takes up the whole bar, works well so far. I would probably need more support for 1/8" diamond plate if I go that route. Thanks again for the photos/info.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

White Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt

·
Registered
973 Posts
Very nice boat! Pro tip-Most people run their spare oars in the opposite directions so the blades are not capable of catching waves and taking you in a direction you might not want to go🙃
Respectfully disagree.

You can run your spare oars pointing whichever way you like. I run mine pointing forward. However, I would shift them back a bit, so there isn't so much blade "out in the wind" (or waves, as it were).

61 - 80 of 100 Posts