Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just want to say a quick thanks to Mt4Runner for doing a FANTASTIC job on making these oars! From the leathered grips to the walnut accents and even the traditional oar stops, ALL made by hand, all turned out beautifully... much better than I could have hoped.
Wood Natural material Grass Wood stain Hardwood Musical instrument Wood Idiophone Gas Wind instrument Wood Wood stain Varnish Natural material Hardwood
As I get older my arms and shoulders aren’t what they once were and rowing all day with some of the newer stiffer composite oars left me hurting making it difficult to do an all-day or multi day trips. With M4R’s oars, although maybe not quite as light as some of the newer composites, are extremely well shaped and balanced making them a pleasure to row. Also, the oars being made of fir and are not as stiff and a much more forgiving of my questionable rowing skills. I now have heirloom quality oars that will be around long after I’m gone, well worth the money and then some.
Water Boat Shorts Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Water Sky Boat Watercraft Water resources
This is my oldest son who works for the Navy. They call on him when they need something "broken". He’s very good at his job. Finesse is not a word in his vocabulary. This day he tried to break my new oars on a particularly sketchy stretch of water but only succeeded in placing few dings and scratches and in testing his father's love. The oars held up incredibly well, a testament to just how they were built.
Wood Carpenter Tradesman Engineering Lumber
Here’s a picture of legend himself, MT4Runner in his shop with his creations. Not only is he a good guy but you can tell he has this great love of wood and wood craft that becomes infectious. He obsesses in detail that you don’t find in the mass-produced oars. All this is obvious when you see the final product.
Water Sky Tree Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake

As I told 4Runner the oars may not improve my skills as a boatman (don't we all wish for oars that make us smarter) but should allow me to row longer and with less pain, which hopefully equates to more days on the river.
I may still make bad decisions but when I do... I'll look DAMN good while pinned on the rocks!

Thanks again Shawn.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I love mine too.... put them through Hell this spring on lower water runs and they held up great. Two Grand trips, a lower water Deso trip, a Yampa trip and a low water Middle Fork trip so far. They need some refinishing in a few spots...but overall have been doing a great job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love mine too.... put them through Hell this spring on lower water runs and they held up great. Two Grand trips, a lower water Deso trip, a Yampa trip and a low water Middle Fork trip so far. They need some refinishing in a few spots...but overall have been doing a great job.
Great to hear! Hopefully I'll be able to put them through something similar next year. That's the good thing about these oars, they look pretty but as M4R will tell you... they are made to be abused.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
For sure... I took my first strokes with them on my Grand trip last year and was trying to baby them for the first day...and then scratched them and basically just full sent from there. Dynel tips have held up really well.

I'll be interested to see how you like the Leather grips. One of my favorite parts of these oars so far is the nice warm bare wood handles. Kinda want to cut the rubber grips off my 9' Sawyer Squaretops now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I REALLY like the leather grips. Not only do I think they look badass but they feel great also. It's also nice to be able to feel the lacing with my thumbs and know the orientation of my blades without having to look. Initially I was worried they'd become slick when wet but that hasn't been the case so far.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Very nice and good to hear. Shawn sent me pics when he was making them for ya.

At least with my oars...its really subtle but you can feel a slight flat spot on the handles since they started out square. I've gotten pretty used to how the feel and you can always reference with the square section too.

They definitely look pretty slick with the leather grips too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude, trade you some oars for one of my badass blaster tables.
Thanks for the offer but I need at least three for the boat and one as an extra for well... I have 4 kids, all love to raft, all wanting to take their turn on the stix. If I still have 4 (intact) oars by the end of next year it'll be a miracle.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yeah... its a side gig for Shawn...but he definitely cranks at least 5-10 sets out a year. Very reasonable pricing for what you get and he incentivizes buying a full set including spares. Its a lot easier to make four oars now then it is another one if/when you manage to break one (they are stout...but everything has a breaking point).

Kinda surprised he hasn't chimed in....must be doing his Day Job or off boating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just want to say a quick thanks to Mt4Runner for doing a FANTASTIC job on making these oars! From the leathered grips to the walnut accents and even the traditional oar stops, ALL made by hand, all turned out beautifully... much better than I could have hoped.
View attachment 70048 View attachment 70049 View attachment 70050
As I get older my arms and shoulders aren’t what they once were and rowing all day with some of the newer stiffer composite oars left me hurting making it difficult to do an all-day or multi day trips. With M4R’s oars, although maybe not quite as light as some of the newer composites, are extremely well shaped and balanced making them a pleasure to row. Also, the oars being made of fir and are not as stiff and a much more forgiving of my questionable rowing skills. I now have heirloom quality oars that will be around long after I’m gone, well worth the money and then some.
View attachment 70052 View attachment 70053
This is my oldest son who works for the Navy. They call on him when they need something "broken". He’s very good at his job. Finesse is not a word in his vocabulary. This day he tried to break my new oars on a particularly sketchy stretch of water but only succeeded in placing few dings and scratches and testing his father's love. The oars held up incredibly well, a testament to just how they were built.
View attachment 70055
Here’s a picture of legend himself, MT4Runner in his shop with his creations. Not only is he a good guy but you can tell he has this great love of wood and wood craft that becomes infectious. He obsesses in detail that you don’t find in the mass-produced oars. All this is obvious when you see the final product.
View attachment 70057

As I told 4Runner the oars may not improve my skills as a boatman (don't we all wish for oars that make you smarter) but should allow me to row longer and with less pain, which hopefully equates to more days on the river.
I may still make bad decisions but when I do... I'll look DAMN good while pinned on the rocks!

Thanks again Shawn.
Where can I get some?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Message MT4runner on here and he'll get back to you for sure. I'm sure he'll chime in soon...he's one of the top posters on this site. I think he's trying to be subtle and not push the borders of vendor status yet. You can shoot me a PM and I'll check to see if he's cool giving his contact info out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was hoping that with some nice looking oars it might make my ugly ol boat pretty but it didn't. Doesn't matter how nice the lipstick is, it's still a pig! Oh well, eye of the beholder... right?

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
I have a set of MT4's oars, simply the sweetest rowing oars I've ever owned.

Reactions: Tanaman
1 - 20 of 22 Posts