Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I got really tired of having to get out of my seat and unrig the cooler lid every time I needed a cold beverage. Here is a what I came up with.

The only coolers I could find that would fit in my boat (NRS Otter 140) in this configuration were Engel dry box coolers. Everything else was either too wide, sat up too high, or had latches that got in the way. They aren't great coolers, but good enough for day trips.

The coolers sit on hangers made of 3" wide by 3/16" thick stainless steel (316). I had a fab shop bend them for me. The deck is 3/4" plywood sprayed with rhino liner with dense mini cell foam glued on top.

Had it out on the river yesterday, worked like a charm. One handed beer retrieval. The only thing I need to add now is a drink holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Sweet setup. I'd be tempted to add a zip-top drop bag under your seat to give you secure storage between the coolers for a spare PFD, trash, small drybag, etc.

Oh, and what's the issue with the small Engel coolers--just too thin-walled to be any good for insulation? They seem well-made.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
What's the big deal, it look's just like my livingroom, except it's 10X cleaner and I have a recliner with a TV on the wall. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Oh, and what's the issue with the small Engel coolers--just too thin-walled to be any good for insulation? They seem well-made.
Most of the people I've talked to that have tried them say that, yes they are well made, but lack the insulation for extended multi-day use. I'm sure they work great for a day cooler... but if you want it to last for a week they just don't last. I've actually talked to a few guys who use them as captains dry boxes(which Engel actually advertise them as) since they are a bit lighter weight then an aluminum drybox and stay pretty dry.

Seems like the smaller Canyon coolers might do the trick...but its hard to say.

That looks like a sweet setup. I'm digging the camo seadek foam or similar you put on there. Super slick all around.

edit: If you want something a bit more insulated and long lasting...the Canyon Coolers Outfitter 22 is the exact same outside dimensions as the 19qt. Engel Cooler/Drybox. I can't tell which one you have...so maybe not. Not nearly as much room inside the Canyon due to the thicker walls...but might be worth looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Well done!

I'll echo that, and I love the camo ethafoam, but what keeps them in place if >when< you flip? Don't see any strap attachment methods ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at the Canyon 22 and its a great cooler, but unfortunately with the way the latches are set up on it, I would have had to raise the rowers seat too high to get the latches to clear the seat.

Latch placement eliminated almost every other option out there. Most cooler makers mount the latches way too low on the cooler. Though, I did see one by Cordova the other day that had the latches inverted, which looks like it would work a lot better with most raft frames for ease of access.

Most of the people I've talked to that have tried them say that, yes they are well made, but lack the insulation for extended multi-day use. I'm sure they work great for a day cooler... but if you want it to last for a week they just don't last. I've actually talked to a few guys who use them as captains dry boxes(which Engel actually advertise them as) since they are a bit lighter weight then an aluminum drybox and stay pretty dry.

Seems like the smaller Canyon coolers might do the trick...but its hard to say.

That looks like a sweet setup. I'm digging the camo seadek foam or similar you put on there. Super slick all around.

edit: If you want something a bit more insulated and long lasting...the Canyon Coolers Outfitter 22 is the exact same outside dimensions as the 19qt. Engel Cooler/Drybox. I can't tell which one you have...so maybe not. Not nearly as much room inside the Canyon due to the thicker walls...but might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, the Engel is pretty thin and doesn't hold ice real well. It could be a little studier too, but its fine for just day use. On the pluse side, it holds a lot of cold beer for its external size :)

Great idea on the drop bag, thanks!

Sweet setup. I'd be tempted to add a zip-top drop bag under your seat to give you secure storage between the coolers for a spare PFD, trash, small drybag, etc.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Where you have it mounted, should be durable enough!

A foil/bubble liner wouldn't hurt for ice retention, especially in the lid (solar gain).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that looks awesome. where did you get the foam and how did you attach it?
I scored the foam from a friend who had some left over material from a project. He does ski boat customizations and uses it for decking.

You can get it in bulk from North Shore inc, out of Hood River, OR. Their big market is the sailboarding and kite surfing crowd.

I glued it on with several coats of contact cement, though they do make a peal and stick option.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I used the engle 13qt as a day cooler for a long time. I built a cooler coozie for it using the silver windshield bubble reflective liner. It really increased it's ice retention. just cut to size and duck taped it on.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey Pine or Cody, That Engel 13 looks like exactly what I've been looking for. I've got 13.5" between frame rails this thing say's it's 15" long but I'm assuming that's at it's widest point at the top. Can one of you guys give me a real world dimension of the length at say 2" below the latches?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Pine or Cody, That Engel 13 looks like exactly what I've been looking for. I've got 13.5" between frame rails this thing say's it's 15" long but I'm assuming that's at it's widest point at the top. Can one of you guys give me a real world dimension of the length at say 2" below the latches?
At two inches below the bottom of the bottom latch mount its 17.5" long and 11.5" wide.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts