Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to paddle this weekend but the selection is grim. I have narrowed it down to these selections.

Gore- will it hold for the weekend and is it worth the drive for 750cfs? I have never paddled it, is it good at that level? I would hate to go up there to get skunked.

Parkdale/ Gorge- is it worth coming from Durango at 350 cfs?

Cross Mountain Gorge- really far, is it good at 461?

Any advise on any of these runs would be greatly appreciated and anything I might have missed

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would guess that Parkdale/Gorge has dropped below 300 and I still find the section fun but I wouldnt drive very far to do it. The gorge is getting a little cool and has a ton of flatwater at the end by this time of year for my tastes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DWR guage on this site has it on 351 in Parkdale as of 10/12. Is that worth it?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Thats such a subjective thing. I drive 1.5 hours to get there and its worth it to me. Its going to be class III with some sections being very shallow but there is fun to be had.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Following the procedure outlined on the other post. I think the CFS is more like 264. I think your reading is old and not up-to-date. The wellsville gauge is showing 264 and that seems more logical.

·
Registered
807 Posts
the reality of Parkdale... below about 600 the difference in experience is pretty incremental. 350 vs. 250?...its f-ing low. There are deep eddies and some little corners and stuff but really the play does not change much. If you are jonezed then have at it. The Gorge is probably more fun low but the paddle out pretty much keeps me away until spring. Or come up to Salida throw ends in the Boatramp hole and then run some gates and at least you get a workout.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell, for that I'll just keep running the Rockwood Box.

Will Gore hold out for the weekend?

Screw it, I'll just poach westy. :roll:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Gore is really fun and should be great if it stays at this level.

I wouldn't by any means call it a must, but for this time of year... not much really is around here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts