Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I know many of you have sweet videos of you with music. I have a question in relation to adding music to a YouTube video. I know this May be very simple, however I do not know how and would appreciate any help I can get. How do you add your own choice of music to your YouTube videos? I have great whitewater videos with great songs chosen for them, but I can't figure out how to add it. Thank you!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Movie Maker

I use the free Windows Movie Maker - it's simple, works reasonably well, isn't malware any more than Windows already is, and did I mention free? (at least if you have a windows PC)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Music must be added to the video BEFORE you upload the video to youtube. That means whatever you upload to youtube is exactly what will be displayed/heard. You can't upload it to youtube and then add the music.

You need some video editing software. I purchased a MacBook Pro for the main reason that it has iMovie and I find iMovie to be a pretty easy video editing software program. There are several free video editing programs available on the internet. It will take a bit of learning to really get creative with the sounds and transitions, but if you are like me, you'll really enjoy it.

You can view some of my videos at Micah Kneidl - YouTube to get an idea of some of the projects I have put together. Some pretty fun whitewater videos in there if I do say so myself.

-Micah

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Go Mac and you won't go back.

Not just basic programs but pretty decent ones come with your iMac or whatever you get.

They just gave everyone a free upgrade this last year to the best operating system. Crazy.
Its not that hard to learn iMovie.

Reduced Malware also.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,264 Posts
There are lots of open source video editors online. I haven't used any in a while so I can't recommend one. I used to use Jcut with kids but they are a paid service now. Don't buy a Mac just for imovie. It's not a real computer it's an entertainment center.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I also use iMovie. I am not super tech savvy, and I have found it to be pretty easy to use. I don't put stuff on You Tube often, so I haven't paid attention to music choices. I make movies for myself & my friends after trips for fun.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
If you put up copyright music, you will get ads on your video and won't be able to use it to make cash from ads. Youtube doesn't strip music anymore from videos.

There is a new feature on Youtube to add music after you upload and then can control the volume and mix it in with the movie audio. Very simple and straight forward way to add music to your videos.

I personally use Windows Movie Maker, but now that I found Youtube feature, I'll use that for a quick music video.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a related question. I did a short vid using a John Denver tune, Rocky mountain High in Movie maker. FaceBook nor YouTube would let me up load. If I gave credits for the music in Vid, would it let me upload?

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Won't let you upload? I've never had that issue, even with copyright material. Youtube sent me emails stating that I have copyright music, so I won't be able to use it for cash making.

So I'd assume you have another problem, AJ.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Viewing on Mobile

One thing I have noticed is if you include music that is copyright protected, they will not allow it to be played on mobile devices. When you try and play it, YouTube makes it seem like the creator of the video is not allowing it to play on mobile, but it is a copyright thing, not the uploader. Just putting that out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really appreciate all of the advice. Thank you! I have done videos with my music on other applications and was not sure if there was a trick to YouTube other than using their music. It sounds like making the video elsewhere and putting it on YouTube is the best option. I really enjoyed your videos and suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts