Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some more options on multiday floats on new rivers since I did not grab any lottery picks this year or last. live in Portland Oregon area and have done the Grande Ronde, Rogue, Lower Deschutes. I am solid class III, IV ish boater I would say. looking for new waters to explore. any ideas. really wanted to do the smith river in Montana but haven't drawn that permit yet. Can you do that after the permit season or is water levels to low?

thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can do a late smith trip in a canoe but not enough water for raft. If you wanna do montana . Do the great bear wilderness section of the middle fork flathead for three days then do a couple days hiking in glacier followed by a day or two doing laps on middle fork Town section. Then hit alberton gorge on the Clark's fork on your way home. Smiths a nice river but not as great as people (me) think. Theres a ton of trip reports on here for middle fork section. And its non permit. Early July before waters gone. Longish drive but not to bad. If Canada's open go run the kootenay and ill go with ya! Shit my passports out nevermind

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Looking for some more options on multiday floats on new rivers since I did not grab any lottery picks this year or last. live in Portland Oregon area and have done the Grande Ronde, Rogue, Lower Deschutes. I am solid class III, IV ish boater I would say. looking for new waters to explore. any ideas. really wanted to do the smith river in Montana but haven't drawn that permit yet. Can you do that after the permit season or is water levels to low?

thanks for any ideas.
Forego the classic big solid Class III/IV runs and start exploring the local I-II-IIII runs that you've previously ignored...and turn them into multidays. You might be surprised.
And when a million more people are boating in 10 years and those rivers also have permits that you can't get...you'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
John Day? Beautiful, pick your segment, Clarno can be fun, dates still available
We have a May 19 launch, looking forward to returning to this run with a few friends

Reactions: elkcmp

·
Registered
19 Posts

thanks for any ideas.
lower owyhee. i'm new to oregon and can't wait to get on that stretch. heard it gets crowded when there's flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts