Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on what's best for a propane hose for two stoves and maybe a blaster?

I see several options with google search, but I'm not sure if any are better or pretty much all the same. I guess another option would be to go to one of the propane outlets and build your own.

The NRS one looks nice but is more expensive and maybe the same?:

Primus Propane Distribution Stand at nrs.com

This Stansport one looks much simpler and less expensive:

Amazon.com: Stansport 3 Outlet Propane Distribution Post: Sports & Outdoors

Or a Coleman one from Wally World:
Coleman 30-Inch Distribution Tree, Propane Distribution Tree, Propane Tank Tree, Distribution Tree

Then there's this thread about different BTU ratings for different hose attachments and splitters, post #15:

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f15/blaster-vs-power-stove-33819-2.html

Suffice it to say I need some experienced advice here. Thx.

- Jon

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I have 2 distribution posts. The first is a Century single 32" post. It has served me well over the last decade with a steel 10lb tank. When I purchased a 5Lb tank a few years ago, I got a Mr.Heater 2 piece post.

Benefits to each. They both allow connections to 2 auxiliary devices via "thowaway" connectors and a lantern mount. The Century unit has a way better mount system, as it slides over the handle rail of the tank and is connected with a hand turn connection at the tank via a flexible hose. But it is to big to fit in my little boat as it does not breakdown. The Mr.Heater unit has a weaker attachment point and one must use a wrench to attach it properly. It does break down and fits nicely in the kitchen box.

After looking at a few on the market, Century now makes one that does break down and has the better mount. The price is pretty good to. The way this unit mounts is better because it does not stress the valve on the tank. The connection to the tank is also easier due to the hand turn attachment.

LINK: Century Two-Piece 18-30" Type 1 Safety Post with Bag

If you need to add yet another connector to the post, you could use an adapter like this.

LINK: Marshall Add-A-Tee Adapter

·
899 Posts
Another T adapter that would work well with the Century Post.

LINK: Acme Extend-A-Flow Tee Adapter

You could run the blaster from the "throw away" connector on this adapter, and then run your 2 stoves off the connectors low on the post and still have a lantern on the top.

·
Registered
494 Posts
not to hijack this too much, but what I've been looking for is an adaptor, or a hose, with the male end that goes directly into the 2 burner stove (coleman, stansport, etc) where the stupid copper tube normally would go. I hate the copper tube, it's just waiting to get lost or broken..... besides I hardly ever use the little 1lb(?) propane bottles.
Thanks and sorry for the hijack....

·
899 Posts
Your looking for a regulator assembly like R430B565T part #3, but flexible? I have that part, but not sure where it came from or where I bought it. My Coleman 2 burner is very old (like 1990) and when I bought it used at a garage sale, it did not have the regulator assembly. I may have called Coleman and ordered it from them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks.
yep #3 brendo, that's what I'm looking for, but either in a flexible tube, or an adaptor to screw into the stove that lets me screw the hose into it. I just know that one day the stupid little tube (regulator assy) is bound to break. Although with all the spare valve parts, t-adaptors etc I have bought over the years I should have just bought a partner stove. However the combo of a cheap (light) coleman 2-burner and a woodland stove have been working strong for lots of years now.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Thanks.
yep #3 brendo, that's what I'm looking for, but either in a flexible tube, or an adaptor to screw into the stove that lets me screw the hose into it. I just know that one day the stupid little tube (regulator assy) is bound to break. Although with all the spare valve parts, t-adaptors etc I have bought over the years I should have just bought a partner stove. However the combo of a cheap (light) coleman 2-burner and a woodland stove have been working strong for lots of years now.
I wouldn't sweat it those things are pretty reliable.

anyhow if it does happen you should always have your partner stove as cooking backup and a campfire as an emergency backup

·
Registered
309 Posts
not to hijack this too much, but what I've been looking for is an adaptor, or a hose, with the male end that goes directly into the 2 burner stove (coleman, stansport, etc) where the stupid copper tube normally would go. I hate the copper tube, it's just waiting to get lost or broken..... besides I hardly ever use the little 1lb(?) propane bottles.
Thanks and sorry for the hijack....
Same here, I hate the tube only because the thing takes up to much space on the table. A short 90 style would work great. We use a 4 burner partner for the main stove and the Coleman just for coffee. A king cooker (blaster) for water heating. We use three propane tanks for the set up. It would take some long hoses to do this with one tank! The blaster hates any wind so it always sheltered away from the traffic flow in the kitchen. Let me know if someone finds a 90 connection for the Coleman.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that my post has been completely hijacked....

Thanks Brendo. I need to spend some time looking at the various connections etc. b/c I don't understand much of your post yet. Appreciate the help though.

Any thoughts about the ones linked in my OP?

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,266 Posts
Now that my post has been completely hijacked....

Thanks Brendo. I need to spend some time looking at the various connections etc. b/c I don't understand much of your post yet. Appreciate the help though.

The problem with the distribution posts is it only allows attachment of hoses that would screw onto disposable green bottles (not sure about that Primus one though). The blaster stoves all have the large threads that fit directly to the tank. I use a splitter with one side the blaster fitting and the other fits a hose with the smaller bottle threads. The distribution post was intended to have a lantern on top. I never bring a lantern anymore now that everyone has a headlamp.

As far as the Coleman regulator, mine has lasted 14 years so far. I have needed to replace the o-ring in the end of it and now carry a few spares and a dental pick to remove the old one when it starts to leak.

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you live in a popular rv community there is likely a shop that can custom make all kinds of hoses and adapters for whatever you want. I dig the coleman canister connections on the propane bomb post with hoses and t's for everything I use: 2 stoves and lantern.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The problem with the distribution posts is it only allows attachment of hoses that would screw onto disposable green bottles. The blaster stoves all have the large threads that fit directly to the tank. I use a splitter with one side the blaster fitting and the other fits a hose with the smaller bottle threads. The distribution post was intended to have a lantern on top. I never bring a lantern anymore now that everyone has a headlamp.

As far as the Coleman regulator, mine has lasted 14 years so far. I have needed to replace the o-ring in the end of it and now carry a few spares and a dental pick to remove the old one when it starts to leak.
I bought a tree last year that has two large outputs for a blaster and parter stove.. works great.. I think I would use a Y more.. I have found that a lantern is the biggest wast of space in my drybox.. I never use it except fall where the days are shorter..

·
899 Posts
The Century Distribution Post I linked is probably the best and price is competitive.

I have needed to replace the o-ring in the end of it and now carry a few spares and a dental pick to remove the old one when it starts to leak.
Ran into this issue with my flexible assembly this summer on a trip. Still have to deal with it, or I will forget and be worse next season.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Propane Tree Black:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Here is a link to the tree with two large adapters...
I've had this in my wish list at Amazon for a while. Need to order it so we can run our coleman stove for cooking and blaster for coffee water. Thanks for reminding me.

On second thought, would a "throwaway adapter" work to go from my existing post (with throwaway fittings only) to our Woodland powerstove? I don't see the exact adapter, there are so damn many of them out there! Help?

·
Registered
494 Posts
zircon, don't waste the $$.
I thought the same thing, but the single mantle does not throw any light out... used it once or twice and left it home. I use the Black Diamond lanterns now. The Apollo throws out way more light and is probably cheaper to run and is way lighter than the pos coleman lantern. The old 2 mantle propane lanterns were good, gave off lots of light , but way too big.

Oops, sorry again for abetting another thread hijack

·
Super Moderator
2,848 Posts
Not too far off topic is the clogged propane hose. The ones with the one inch green bottle threads. I have 2-3 of those that no longer move propane.

I just got a fitting to hook an air compressor to them, but haven't tried purging them yet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts