Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife and I are going to be traveling throughout the west from April- December this year and want to mix in a few multi-day trips into our travels. We have a Star Slice frameless cat (similar to a Shredder or Culebra) and would be paddling R2 and packing light almost backpacker style.

Any suggestions on good class 2-4 multiday trips and what time of year to go?

Are there any facebook groups or other ways to network with people out West and possibly join private trips that have open slots?

Tips on scoring cancellations and finding people to fill the trip?

We are from the Southeast and have no boating connections out west.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gates of Lodore is dam release and should be runnable into the fall. I have my first trip on it this spring, so cant speak directly to what it is like, but it is supposed to be class a 3ish 4 day trip. There are cancelations available right now, but you need to call the permit office. check out the thread on "Dino Call in" going on right now. Also check out the gunnision gorge might also be a good one for a shredder type raft.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You could link Ruby Horsethief and Westwater and do a 2 or 3 night (3 or 4 day) as those permits would be a lot easier to get than most other trips out west.

RH is 27 miles basically all flat and WW is 17 miles with 5 miles of good pool and drop class 3. You could also just do a single night on WW if you don't want to do as much flat. The scenery and hiking is great though. Flows will be highest in May and early June.

Moab daily is also fun to do single overnighters on. For any of these trips shoot for a week day launch to avoid crowds as best as possible.

·
Registered
362 Posts
THE Grande Ronde in N.E. Oregon. 46 or 92 miles, class 2/3. The top 46 miles are gorgeous with excellent camping. Self permit at launch site. Minam, Oregon. May n June r best.

Deschutes from warm springs to maupin. Class 3/4 ). 3 days 2 nights. Dam regulated so you can run all year. Permits through Oregon state recreation web site. Go before mid May to avoid crowds.

In Idaho, do all the day runs on the Payette (Cabarton secton, the Main, the Canyon and South Fork ) no permits and you can camp around Cascade and hit them all. Class 3/4

The lower Salmon out of Riggins or if your lucky grab a Main Salmon cancelation permit off the Recreation. Gov web site. Class 3/4.

Contact the Idaho Whitewater Association for lots of info/links.

PM me this summer when you get near the North West and we'll put something together.

Welcome to Heaven!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
You would have to catch it right but Bear Valley Creek to the hot springs ( 7 miles ) camp there for a day or two and then 7 miles out. Make sure you don't run Dagger.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good one Carvedog. I run that in canoes every summer nice trip if the tribe members are not in there for the salmon run. Then it's a bit busy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice so far. I read the entire Dino permit thread. Wow... that is crazy! I will definitely do some research on the trips that you guys mentioned.

Whetstone: the Oregon runs sound great. I will definitely PM you when we are in the area.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
471 Posts
All of the above mentioned

Plus-
Selway after Aug 1. I'd love to R2 that if flows are 1.4 or above
South Fork Salmon at low water
Lochsa at low water is still worthy
lower salmon would be a hoot in a small boat. Would have to backpacker it or join a trip. Big waves, low consequences.
Main salmon would be fun if you link up with an existing trip or pick up a cancelation and go backpacker style. There is some resupply potential along the way.

Join the Idaho Whitewater Yahoo group.

·
Registered
471 Posts
OOOH also grab a Middle Fork Salmon permit after March 16 when lots of people drop them.

Go from Boundary to Cache bar in mid September (wear good clothes, I'd wear a drysuit) Rent the required gear or make due with turkey roasting pan and PVC poop tubes and get on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Middle Fork Salmon looks like a dream trip... I guess I will join the crowd and start calling incessantly after the 16th.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't call. Watch Recreation.gov

And if you don't get anything don't worry. At all. The moment the river heads toward 2' in August tons of people cancel their september permits. If you are flexible with dates you can definitely get on it.

I'm looking at an Aug 21 launch but if the permit holder gets into his MPT program that trip will fold and I have a permit for later. But I expect to cancel it. Lots of people holding onto Sept dates as backup plans.

message me if you have specific questions about gear or process. Or just ask Carvedog. He is the man.

·
Registered
572 Posts
We've taken a Shredder down Lodore on a 4 day/ 3 night and it's very doable. Something like that what be killer for a late season MF.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hi,

My wife and I are going to be traveling throughout the west from April- December this year and want to mix in a few multi-day trips into our travels. We have a Star Slice frameless cat (similar to a Shredder or Culebra) and would be paddling R2 and packing light almost backpacker style.

Any suggestions on good class 2-4 multiday trips and what time of year to go?

Are there any facebook groups or other ways to network with people out West and possibly join private trips that have open slots?

Tips on scoring cancellations and finding people to fill the trip?

We are from the Southeast and have no boating connections out west.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
How was your trip out west? What trips did you pull off?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for asking... It has been Incredible. We paddled the Ark, Alpine Canyon, Alberton Gorge, Blackfoot, Teton, Henry's Fork,Main Payette, Main Salmon, South Fork Boise, North and Middle Fork Flathead and will be on the Green in a few weeks. We caught some nice trout along the way.That plus about 15 national parks have made for an incredible few months on the road!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for asking... It has been Incredible. We paddled the Ark, Alpine Canyon, Alberton Gorge, Blackfoot, Teton, Henry's Fork,Main Payette, Main Salmon, South Fork Boise, North and Middle Fork Flathead and will be on the Green in a few weeks. We caught some nice trout along the way.That plus about 15 national parks have made for an incredible few months on the road!
!!! Wow!!! You know how to do it right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Shapp
1,852 Posts
Middle Fork Salmon looks like a dream trip... I guess I will join the crowd and start calling incessantly after the 16th.
The real dream trip is the full 200+ miles of the Owyhee, of which the easiest full owyhee is from YP Ranch to Leslie Gulch, or for first timers Rome to Birch Creek or Leslie Gulch. If you are there in April or May, it will likely have enough water for some period of time.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nicely done! You know how to roll.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 18 of 18 Posts