Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried out the "Ultimate" stow floats from Gaia Sports? They supposedly have RF-welded seams and use a completely waterproof zipper. They seem like they might be the hot ticket, but they are PRICEY. Would love to hear from somebody that has used them for the season.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I know the "Craw" got one. it has a zipper, right? He said he filled it with newspaper and sat on it in his hot tub. i know it passed that test. I'm sure he'll see this and comment before too long. It looked really nice, but damn, retail is $94.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't know about the Gaia stow floats, but I have the Watershed version and it works really well- dry as.

I have also seen a few people using those ultra light ultra thin drybags (Seattle Sports?), and they worked surprisingly well for whitewater.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
One thing people haven't yet noted, is for critical items, you might consider putting them in a trash compactor bag, then inside your drybag. Just another level of assurance, protects the sleeping bag from stray leaks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not looking for ideas for my "first set" of self-support bags. I've had CKS Bruneau Bags for many years, and they worked great. They have just hit the end of their lifespan, are leaking a little, and it's time to upgrade. I don't like the Watershed "Futas." Borrowed some to try. They are heavy and the roll-down closure takes up too much room and also has blown open on two of my friends' bags. Hopefully, there is some feedback out there on the Gaia bags, as they look like the best idea I've seen in a while. Hopefully the Craw has some real-world feedback on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts