Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm moving to Boulder, CO in a couple weeks and want to see where I can go boating. I'm a solid Class IV boater and will probably need to be local for a while while I get dialed in to my job. Any thoughts on what are fun runs and any other suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Closest option for Boulder then will most likely be Foxton/Waterton or Bailey minus the big three. If we get a big rainstorm something closer might go.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what are the big three? St. Vrain, Poudre, and Boulder Creek? Just assume I don't know anything (not difficult). I'm wondering what my options would be for some play or quick runs after work.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Thanks for the response. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what are the big three? St. Vrain, Poudre, and Boulder Creek? Just assume I don't know anything (not difficult). I'm wondering what my options would be for some play or quick runs after work.

Thanks,
Dan
The big 3 refer to Four Falls, Super Max and Deer Creek, all IV++/V-/V rapids on the Bailey stretch of the North Fork of the South Platte. All of the river stretches mentioned by kayakfreakus are on the South Platte River. Baily and Foxton are on the North Fork of the South Platte, which benefits from trans-basin diversions and often has a long season. Waterton Canyon is below the North Fork and South Platte proper confluecne (but above Strontia Springs) and typcially has boatable flows late in the year.

Pickup a copy of Colorado Rivers and Creeks II and/or Whitewater of the Southern Rockies for good river descriptions.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
He's referring to the 3 class V drops on Bailey. The season is pretty much over except for dam controlled runs. Your after work surf session options are probably Golden, Lyons, or Boulder creek (quality roughly in that order). Some sickos will still go run Black Rock on Clear Creek at 200, but it's serious bone zone. You can get to Waterton canyon, but it's short and is over an hour drive from Boulder. Same drive time with Foxton, but that's pretty low right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys that all helps a lot. I'm not looking for any Class V yet - just some surf sessions and some Class III-IV action on day trips. I'm psyched to get out there though - I've been trapped in Baltimore for 5 years!

Dan

·
Likes it wet.
295 Posts
Thanks guys that all helps a lot. I'm not looking for any Class V yet - just some surf sessions and some Class III-IV action on day trips. I'm psyched to get out there though - I've been trapped in Baltimore for 5 years!

Dan
What's up man... if you ever want to make it up to Fort Collins... I'll take you down Middle Narrows on the Poudre... and Lower when the water drops a bit... it'll be good class IV for ya.

I'm from Silver Spring... good to see some Marylanders making the migration :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey I'm at CU and will probably be heading up to the poudre quite a bit until it dies out, pm me if you wanna paddle.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Could always make the trip out to Shoshone on the Colorado if you get desperate. I surf the Golden play park down to 130 cfs or so, but I work in Golden. South Boulder creek runs at odd times during the year so keep an eye on that gauge. If it rains hard, get out on Boulder Creek. The October hole is good near Lyons. Really your best bet is Foxton and Waterton.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
royal gorge section of the arkansas river still goes at low water. Flows usually go down after aug 15, but you can generally run the gorge as long as there is no ice. Its mostly III with a bit of easy IV. You could do it as a day trip from boulder. I've done late/early season gorge runs when nothing else was going and always had a good time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Something else to consider

The big Gore Fest is this weekend. Alot of people will be up there, plus alot of safety ... Gore and Tunnel you could portage and the rest of the run should be in your neighborhood.

People from the Front Range had made day trips to Gore ...

Welcome to CO!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice to see some of my fellow Marylanders on the 'ole buzz. October Hole in Lyons runs through, well October. Top drop is a good surf hole and you can't beat the Oskar Blues brew pub for afterwards.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll actually be living in Longmont; so Lyons sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all the guidance, guys. I'll be out there after labor day - so probably just catch the end of the season (I'm not much of a winter paddler). Hopefully we'll get to hook up!

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts