Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that we are going to Albuquerque. I matched in a Radiology Residency program there. It was my 1st pick. I am really excited. The mountain biking/road biking is supposed to be great.

I am just curious about the kayaking. I have never run the embudo or the upper taos box. What other cool runs are in NM. My wife is a class III boater. Are there any class III runs?

Is there a good guide book for NM?

Thanks in advance.

Krynn

·
Registered
911 Posts
Lower Taos Box and Pillar are good for class III. Not sure of much else...

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
New Mexico has some great runs, all in CRC- but don't forget that you're not that far from some of the runs over in Arizona as well (not that it does you much good this year). The Salt has a great class III day stretch which runs in March to May in a good snow year. You're also that much closer to late Fall runs in Mexico - about 19 hours from Valles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The upper Pecos is a good class 3,crystal clear 'Colorado' type stream,has some logs to watch for maybe 3+ high.Gila River is 2-3 wilderness run worth doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Kyrnn,
Are you in Abq yet? I'm relatively new to the area, but am a class III boater and always looking for others to paddle with...granted its a little late in the year, but now its time to break out the mtn bike and continue hang gliding lessons. We're also trying to get a polo league started in ABQ....ideally a Santa Fe and Los Alamos league as well for some local competition.

Shoot me an email if you're around.

Kelly
[email protected]

·
Registered
580 Posts
Remember the talk about that world class play spot right there in Crackie called "the ditch". What ever happened to that? I remember that it involved diversions using plywood!

Glad I only have to put up with Albuquerque TV and don't have to live there!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't comment much on the boating - but since you mentioned road biking and you are looking for advice - get yourself some thornproof tubes. There's a lot of glass and other crap on the roads down there.

Enjoy the food, thats my favorite part of ABQ. Los Cuartes (not sure if thats the right spelling), Sadies, El Patio - awsome NM food...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts