Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Commercial rabbit boats have become a fact of life. Motorized rabbit boats, however, are new to me. Here is a ROW gear boat power rabbiting on the Lower Salmon:

Water Boat Water resources Watercraft Plant

Should they change their name from ROW to MOTOR? After a brief look around permit regulations, I couldn't find anything about motor rabbits breaking any rules. It still is very troubling to me - if this trend continues, getting a reasonable camp on your one private trip of the year on whatever river may get even more difficult.

BTW, ROW certainly did break the rules when they claimed Buzzards Roost camp before noon pacific time:
Water Boat Water resources Watercraft Vehicle

·
Registered
299 Posts
Camp running by outfitters is common on the Owyhee and a few other rivers that don't have assigned camps, but this is the first time I've ever heard of motor rafts used for it. With or without a motor, it's a dick move IMO. I would love to see regulations where all boats in a group are required to travel together. I believe this is already a rule on the Grand Canyon, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Camp running by outfitters is common on the Owyhee and a few other rivers that don't have assigned camps, but this is the first time I've ever heard of motor rafts used for it. With or without a motor, it's a dick move IMO. I would love to see regulations where all boats in a group are required to travel together. I believe this is already a rule on the Grand Canyon, but I may be wrong.
I know of another river that requires all boats to travel together.

I do agree that this is BS.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Ask me my least favorite commercial outfitter. Have seen numerous examples of really poor river ethics.
Oh, you just posted pics of them.
And I'm not anti-outfitter. I can name ten or a dozen right off hand with whom I've had consistently positive interactions.

Call their office, lodge a polite complaint. Call the BLM office in Riggins, lodge a polite complaint. Nothing will change if people don't speak out.

Then stop thinking about it. Change happens slowly and worrying further will only burn you up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We discussed having some of our party stay at a lodge on the Main Salmon while some stayed at a nearby camp. The ranger advised that all boats in any one party must stay together, "within sight or a couple hundred yards." So the divided group idea was out, even though we were not considering any form of camp rabbiting. The rabbit boat in any form, private or commercial, is selfish garbage. But especially a bad move from the outfitters snagging the "best" camps for their over-coddled passengers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I think they all kind of do it. I was out there early August and there were 3 commercial trips around us. Orange Torpedo, Barker and ROW. They all had runner boats but never was it a concern because I asked them in the morning what they were shooting for and that helped me avoid those beaches. I guess it WOULD be an issue if I were going to need a larger beach. I'd say call Peter or Jonah at ROW and ask them directly about it if it rubs you wrong.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I always ask runners what camps they are shooting for, and it's usually a predictable location. I don't like the practice but I understand. Commercial trips require a higher level of certainty in their schedules. What they don't know is that "certainty" also includes customer experience enhancements courtesy of my well trained water cannon assault team.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’d be somewhat embarrassed with that loaded boat if I was the outfitter. Looks kinda rag tag put together pile of gear.

Did they have any motorized craft registration numbers? They are required to in Idaho and I believe they need to be displayed on both sides.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll add to that - I don't think ROW uses a motor unless it's on the snake. OT and Barker both motor on the Salmon.
They were definitely on the Salmon. We passed their entire party still in camp and then a few hours later rabbit motored by and took the Buzzard's Roost. We did talk to the boatman and he said they were going to Pullman Mine, which is another ~mile downstream of where they stopped. All upstream of the confluence.

Wasn't looking for registration numbers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They were definitely on the Salmon. We passed their entire party still in camp and then a few hours later rabbit motored by and took the Buzzard's Roost. We did talk to the boatman and he said they were going to Pullman Mine, which is another ~mile downstream of where they stopped. All upstream of the confluence.

Wasn't looking for registration numbers.
From as near as I can tell all motorized boats are required to run registration numbers in Idaho.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts