Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 bay conventional cataraft frame (with upper and lower bars to strap to the tubes), and 2 one bay add-on trailer frames that I will strap on for longer trips to hold my cooler and drybox. Now that I am starting to do longer and flatter trips, I would really like to mount a motor. Is there a way to do this, modifying one of my trailer frames? They are continuous hoops with welds not fittings. I was hoping that there would be some sort of clamp that is split in half that I could add to my existing trailer frame, so that I could run some pipe down and create the lower crossbar for the motor mount to connect to.

Thanks for any help - BS

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
It will be much harder to connect a motorized trailer frame to your cat--because the trailer frame sits on a relatively short contact patch on the top of the tubes, and it will want to rotate, even if heavily strapped.

Any way to put the motor on the back of your cat frame and run the trailer frame up front?

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be much harder to connect a motorized trailer frame to your cat--because the trailer frame sits on a relatively short contact patch on the top of the tubes, and it will want to rotate, even if heavily strapped.

Any way to put the motor on the back of your cat frame and run the trailer frame up front?
I thought about putting both trailers in the front of the frame, but my seat is on the last bay of my main 4 bay setup. Wouldn't that cause a problem? Or can I get something to push the motor further away from me? It would definitely mess up my loading though, having both the big cooler and the big dry box on the front of the setup.

Luckily one of my trailer frames has the upgraded welded on C-fittings that DRE put on it. So it mounts really tight to the main frame (it usually goes on the front bay, so kids won't get their fingers pinched). I could use something like that for the trailer though, but not sure if it would be strong enough, as it would sure suck to fail.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,478 Posts
The fittings you seek are available at DRE. There is a clamshell hollaender fitting that looks like the oar tower fitting, but slides in half to go over the pipe then sets with set screws. We motored hundreds of miles on the Omo with a 4 boat pod and a 15 hp merc set up off of the trailer frame. You get a little flex out of it but with those c fittings that you have on the trailer it will be pretty solid. Obviously still strap to the frame and to the rearward d rings. Usually two of us were standing on a deck that was on the trailer with the motor mount so I am sure that helped the cause as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fittings you seek are available at DRE. There is a clamshell hollaender fitting that looks like the oar tower fitting, but slides in half to go over the pipe then sets with set screws. We motored hundreds of miles on the Omo with a 4 boat pod and a 15 hp merc set up off of the trailer frame. You get a little flex out of it but with those c fittings that you have on the trailer it will be pretty solid. Obviously still strap to the frame and to the rearward d rings. Usually two of us were standing on a deck that was on the trailer with the motor mount so I am sure that helped the cause as well.

Zach,

This is what I was hoping there would be out there. I looked at the hollaender website, but didn't really see anything like this, I'll have to look again closer. But are you saying you just had two of these clamps on the rear crossbar of the trailer frame and didn't tie anything to the front crossbar of the trailer frame and just used the set screws to make it so the motor mount would stay perpendicular to the water (and not rotate)? That would be great, and definitely the easiest and cheapest way to do this. I can't see ever having anything bigger than 6hp (famous last words).

Thanks again - BS

·
Registered
590 Posts

ordered the transom from West Marine. Ubolts thru a 2x12.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whip, nice setup. A couple of questions though. Is your transom u-bolted to your flip seat also? And do you have any problems with your motor hitting rocks as it looks like it is as high as it can get with the West Marine fixture?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,478 Posts
We had vertical pieces that came up off the trailer then horizontal pieces that went over the tubes and dropped down over the back of the raft, the transom was ubolted to those. Ill see if I can find a pic. It would be a little different setup on a cat but im sure you could make them work somehow. If the trailer doesnt have drop bars you could tie in on the trailer up top and the back of your main frame on the bottom.

·
Registered
160 Posts

ordered the transom from West Marine. Ubolts thru a 2x12.
I love this set up for a cat. Thanks for showing it to me. I also like the quote "no amount of money is worth you spare time" However it does not work well when this is you job. But thanks for the photo. sweet motor setup.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's my nephews cat I brought the setup and a cordless drill and u-bolts and we bolted it the night before launch on Lower Salmon. I think he had to loosen 2 bolts in camp to access under the seat. No problem with clearance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts