Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a propane powered motor for my raft. Don't really want gas, because I don’t wanna lug around smelly gas. Looked at electric, but not too keen on the extra weight of the battery.

Any recommendations?

I live in Colorado

·
Registered
246 Posts
We co-oped on a Lehr 5hp propane outboard last year. Works great so far. Not as easy as I thought it would be to stow for rapids, as you are supposed to drain the oil and can only lay it on the tiller side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far. If anyone has any pro’s or cons to propane let me know. I could be talked into electric, just leaning more towards the propane

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We co-oped on a Lehr 5hp propane outboard last year. Works great so far. Not as easy as I thought it would be to stow for rapids, as you are supposed to drain the oil and can only lay it on the tiller side.
Interesting. I did not know that about the Lehr. That’s kind of a big game changer for me, as lifting it up approaching smaller rapids is important.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I have a 5HP Tohatsu that works great, Used it this year on a GC motor out to Pearce. Used a Lehr last year, compared to the Tohatsu it's a Chinese POS, cheap everything. Funny thing is the prices are comparable. Just like a 4 stroke, it holds oil in the crankcase, so you do have to store it on it's side, but wasn't a real problem for me.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

is what I bought, I'd buy it again. Is quieter than most too, an added bonus

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 5HP Tohatsu that works great, Used it this year on a GC motor out to Pearce. Used a Lehr last year, compared to the Tohatsu it's a Chinese POS, cheap everything. Funny thing is the prices are comparable. Just like a 4 stroke, it holds oil in the crankcase, so you do have to store it on it's side, but wasn't a real problem for me.

How long does a 20lb tank get you? Do you have any pics of it on your boat?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Also, do you think going up to the 9 hp Tohatsu would be worth while? Or would it just burn more gas at the same speed?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry, ours is a Tohatsu, not a Lehr. I heard similar stuff about the Lehr. I think the 5hp is plenty of power and the 9hp would be wasted gas and weight.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Also, do you think going up to the 9 hp Tohatsu would be worth while? Or would it just burn more gas at the same speed?

I don't have any photos of it on the boat, I bought it for the grand canyon motor out and we were about photo'd out by the end. Not to mention that after almost 40 years of boating, I don't really take pics of gear anymore LOL

The 5 HP at full throttle moved 5 boats at 7MPH according to the GPS and burned about 2/3 of a 17 gallon composite propane bottle at full throttle, so I'd say about 12 lbs of propane in 5 hours of motoring. I wasn't in a mood to save fuel, brought a dedicated bottle for the motor, and half throttle was moving us along at about 5MPH, so I gained 10 miles at full throttle over the length of the trip, would have been 2 more hours at half throttle.

I can't see where another 4 HP would have made much of a difference to tell the truth, the most speed I ever got with my 15 hp 2 stroke pushing boats was 7MPH, so....

I bet it would up the fuel consumption, and the weight as well. The 5 HP did just fine, no complaints at all from me, nothing but praise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I don't have any photos of it on the boat, I bought it for the grand canyon motor out and we were about photo'd out by the end. Not to mention that after almost 40 years of boating, I don't really take pics of gear anymore LOL

The 5 HP at full throttle moved 5 boats at 7MPH according to the GPS and burned about 2/3 of a 17 gallon composite propane bottle at full throttle, so I'd say about 12 lbs of propane in 5 hours of motoring. I wasn't in a mood to save fuel, brought a dedicated bottle for the motor, and half throttle was moving us along at about 5MPH, so I gained 10 miles at full throttle over the length of the trip, would have been 2 more hours at half throttle.

I can't see where another 4 HP would have made much of a difference to tell the truth, the most speed I ever got with my 15 hp 2 stroke pushing boats was 7MPH, so....

I bet it would up the fuel consumption, and the weight as well. The 5 HP did just fine, no complaints at all from me, nothing but praise.
I’m going to go with the 5hp for my 14 foot RMR. I have an adjustable motor mount that can raise up and lower down to the water. I got the setup from Downriver Equipment in Colorado. This is the setup:

https://www.downriverequip.com/fram...ount-w-transom-mount-plate-new-build-pid-2404

Now I just need to figure out what length to get the transom in, 15”, 20”, or 25”.

Also, I see the Tohatsu’s that come in 20” & 25” come with a 12v charging system and a high thrust prop.

Being newer to outboards, what are the advantages to having those options?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got the 6 horse Tohatsu 25” shaft. For a rmr 16’. Hoping to get it on the water next week I will post an update as soon as we get the on water trials done. The motor is going to be used to take the boat fishing on lakes, crabbing in the bays, and pushing a flotilla down the snake,Owyhee,etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got the 6 horse Tohatsu 25” shaft. For a rmr 16’. Hoping to get it on the water next week I will post an update as soon as we get the on water trials done. The motor is going to be used to take the boat fishing on lakes, crabbing in the bays, and pushing a flotilla down the snake,Owyhee,etc.
Is it gas or propane?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well my thought was get the longer one, can be used on more types of boats. As far as the shaft length and the raft I won’t know till after memorial weekend, hitting the Grande Ronde River tomorrow, it’s cranking! Then I’m branding cattle the next weekend. But I’ll let you know. If it’s to long I will just adjust the transom height. Easy fix.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts