Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beer.

So does anyone have experience bringing kegs on multidays? I think I've heard of it being done before but there were a few issues we did not resolve before the last trip.

1.Keep it cold? We decided this didn't matter as the best beer is water-temp beer.

2.Foaming in the Rapids? Another simple problem to solve. Drink it all before the rapids and bring traditional canned beers for the paddle out (this was a Cat trip).

3.The Tap. This is the one that got us. If something were to happen to the tap, we would be beerless for half the trip. We all agreed that this was not an option and it was not worth risking it.

So, anyone made it work before? Curious to see the issues that have arisen and the solutions developed.

COUNT

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave's setup is definitely sweet. I never tried it but I met some guys who kept a margarator (kegerator always filled with ice cold margs) in the garage. Damn good idea.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I want on a Cataract Canyon trip in September where we took along 3 half barrells and 3 1/6 barrells of Tommyknocker-Finished all with 10 guys. At that time of year as long as shielded from the sun was tasty and drinkable. In mid summer I would suggest only the 1/6 barrells which fit inside of a raft cooler, keep them warm until the night before you'll use them then throw them on ice...and of course, bring at minimum 3 taps.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I'm with CM on this one, wouldnt tequila, a lime and some salt be easier to transport?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
you have to watch that stuff cause all of the sudden you could be up against a mean case of wd(whiskey dick). true story i needed him and he wasn't there to perform that night so i drank some more and passed out in my friends bath tub.

its light weight and cheaper than beer which is a good thing. also tastes good in the morning, kinda like some sweet brown suger.

·
Super Moderator
4,122 Posts
Dave's setup is awesome - its a cold plate system. The only problem with it is that the kayakers hang around the nurse boat suckling the beer teat and after awhile can only do half rolls :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Skip the keg. Get some Budweiser cans. Freeze them solid in your freezer(they will not explode). Put them in the bottom of your regular beer cooler with the rest of your beer and ice on top of them. Drain excess water morning and night. Fool proof cold beer on day 7.

·
No seas pendejo
122 Posts
It can be done...had one on my bachelor party in Westwater....it lasted four hours.

·
Uncle Rico
13 Posts
kegerator

We used kegs on the Grand and Cat in August and it was cold the whole time. The trick is to run he tap through coiled copper tubing in a small, well insulated cooler. Ice the coils inside of the cooler and as the beer makes its journey from the keg to the tap, it is ice cold. Friends in Boise have perfected the system and it works great and uses minimal ice. You don't have to keep the kegs cold but it helps if you can pre cool with river water. No cans to deal with at the end of the trip, just an empty shell to return. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thing to watch out for in Utah is the fact that kegs are illegal for personal use, and some of the rangers will give you shit for bringing them

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
One thing to watch out for in Utah is the fact that kegs are illegal for personal use, and some of the rangers will give you shit for bringing them
This is important to know, and why I made a small effort to be low key.

Keep it under a tarp when in UT!

A cold plate is essentially a coil in ice. The coil is in a cast aluminum plate, for thermal mass and protection.

I've never heard of freezing cans before. I thought they'd rupture. I'm going to throw a dale's in the freezer right now. Great way to ice the cold plate... with back up beer.

The other thing we use are 5 gallon soda kegs. Fill them with any liquid or have a participating brewer do the honors. Twisted Pine in Boulder is happy to comply.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts