Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm outfitting my boat currently and have decided to leave the foot pegs behind and fill the bow with foam. Couple quick questions regarding it.

1. How much will this stuff pack down (mini-cell 3 inch)? I have it pretty tight in there now and I'm hoping that it will pack down with pool sessions to a comfortable fit.

2. Should I glue it 'all' in or just the last lip of foam?

3. Should I even glue it or use something such as velcro or similar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used high density, grey minicell foam block to make foot brace before. Worked just fine. It never compressed much at all with extended use. Didn't use glue. Just jammed it in there, "kick-to-fit" and friction kept it from coming out. If you use glue 'cause you can't get a good friction fit, don't use much. That way, you can always pull the block out to make adjustments.
- B

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used the gray minicell to make a custom bulkhead in my Super EZ, cutting and layering the foam into a wedge to create the most pressure on the heels and middle of my feet, with only light pressure on the balls of my feet. After 1 season of use, the 3 layers of 2-3" each compressed by a total of about 1-2", so now I am going to reconfigure the design over the winter.

In my boat, I am able to exert considerable pressure on my bulkhead with the use of a ratcheting backband. I probably need to outfit my thigh braces better, but as I ratchet down a lot of the pressure goes right into the bulkhead, thus causing the compression over the season.

I didn't use glue, but I did use duct tape to hold the layers together. Then I jammed the wedge into the front of the boat with friction holding it in place. I have also used foam blocks in a bulkhead many times on a boat my wife used to borrow from a friend. They never came out, and she swam quite a few times. I would advise against using glue - just cut the foam a little big and jam it in.

Phillip

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks phillip, that's what I've done thus far and it doesn't seem to move that much.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I never had problems with foam coming out in my playboat, but I only swam out of it once (under a raft at Broken Nose on the Ocoee). I would tape it if you are at all concerned about losing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts