Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a Mini Max, and have only had her out for a few Pine Creek and Numbers laps on the Arkansas....I don't even have a name for her yet:p
My question is, has anyone noticed any construction differences with Hysides smaller boats compared to their lager boat lines? Is there anything I should look out for or take extra care of as far as build quality? I only ask because to me when comparing my Max to some of their other boats it does some like there are some build differences. I'm sure they're bomber but I just want my little boat to have a long life.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Going off of Hyside's website. They are constructed the same as the bigger boats. However Hyside has two raft series, Outfitter and pro. The Mini-Max is part of the outfitter series and uses a 1680 fabric while the Pro series uses a 2520 fabric.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They do use the outfitter series material which helps make the raft just a little lighter but it's more than enough considering your max will be holding a fraction of the weight compared to a larger commercial raft. Super durable raft and excellent quality. We generally don't see them in the repair shop for any quality related issues, just D-rings, footcups, logos and the like. They also happen to be one of those boats that have amazing resale value. Have fun with it!

·
KegFloat
47 Posts
As soon as you name her she'll treat you right. The TLC you give her with 303 and a good cleaning she will last you for many years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info fellas! To date I'm only familiar with Aire boats, so basically I will take any advice I can get on Hyside...I still have to come up with a name. I'm leaning toward "Shitrunner" seeing that it will spend a majority of it's life on lV-V

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas! To date I'm only familiar with Aire boats, so basically I will take any advice I can get on Hyside...I still have to come up with a name. I'm leaning toward "Shitrunner" seeing that it will spend a majority of it's life on lV-V
If your only familiar with AIRE boats, then the only thing that you need to do differently for a hyside is not worry about cleaning zippers, fiddling with bladders, cleaning mildew and moisture from between the bladder and the shell, ect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just got home from Westwater for the weekend where we noticed a very small leak coming from a seam on the front of our shiny new mini-max. Nothing that effected air pressure through out the day, just a little worrisome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got home from Westwater for the weekend where we noticed a very small leak coming from a seam on the front of our shiny new mini-max. Nothing that effected air pressure through out the day, just a little worrisome.
That is a bit worrisome. How did you discover the leak? What do you think your next course of action will be? I have found that my floor doesn't hold air as well as my Puma did.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Puncture? Or blown out seam? Either way not cool at all for a new boat. Sorry to hear this. Wondering if it was self inflicted? My mini max neo has seen some shit lately....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
83 Posts
One of the kayakers in our group was floating next to our boat and said she heard a leak. We stopped for lunch and sure enough.

The leak is in the seam and I think has to do with the original gluing. The boat has seen about 5 days in the water.

The boat was purchased from DRE, so I'm going to talk with them and see what they think. Then may start contacting hyside if need be.

This is a small leak and totally manageable, I'm just a little worried about the rest of the seam work if this one went so quick.

Any advice? First raft I've ever owned.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yup. A huge advantage to buying local is the ability to walk in and have them make it right. Take it in, get it taken care of. I think a swap out for a fresh boat would be the right thing to do here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would recommend that you bring it in to our shop so that we can evaluate it. We are a Hyside Warranty Repair Center and can get to the bottom of the leak in question. Generally if you can hear a leak then you will usually feel it over the course of a day, especially in a raft as small as a mini-max. Before getting concerned that you received a faulty raft let a professional look at it. We never charge for evaluating a raft.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for replies everyone. I appreciate your insight.

Whitewater Repairs, I think this boat is going to end up in your hands soon via DRE. Since this was purchased at their store I wanted to keep that line of contact, but I imagine to be dealing with you and Hyside direct soon. I will be dropping it off with them today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So my mini was rolled up for the first time since I bought her in May. I carried her into the Gunni-Gorge and had a great time, rolled her up again and went home. When I got home and began inflating I noticed some wrinkles, almost like smears where the folds were? These wrinkles are only in a few spots but now it worries me to roll my boat up again. Is this common:confused:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wrinkles when folding

So my mini was rolled up for the first time since I bought her in May. I carried her into the Gunni-Gorge and had a great time, rolled her up again and went home. When I got home and began inflating I noticed some wrinkles, almost like smears where the folds were? These wrinkles are only in a few spots but now it worries me to roll my boat up again. Is this common:confused:
TuffGong, any wrinkles will diminish after inflating, especially after being rolled up for some time. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy your boat!

P.S. During trade shows, we blow them up and let them sit awhile, topped off, to get the wrinkles out. It's the norm, just a cosmetic thing, like your shirts stuffed in a suitcase ;-).

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is common to see wrinkles in your boat after it's been rolled. Every new raft that comes in the shop has creases and wrinkles right out of the box. That is true of boats from every manufacturer. Usually the wrinkles fade within 24 hours or so when inflated to manufacturer recommended settings (usually about 2.5 Psi).

In other words, the act of rolling your boat won't cause seams to fail or scorn from the heavens. Everybody on the buzz will tell you it's better to store a boat slightly inflated, which is the best way, but not always possible. If you do roll your boat make sure not to drag it! It's much easier to put a hole in a rolled boat than it is an inflated one. Also, if you are going to store it for long periods while rolled show a little love and make it a sort of loose, half-ass, drunk buddies rolled it at the take-out type of roll.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks I will keep an eye on it and see if they fade over time. My real concern is that the "wrinkles" actually look more like smears or like the fabric melted a little in a straight line (of course I know it didn't actually melt).
Anyway that's for the responses, you put my mind at ease for now:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts