Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this little gem...

washingtonpost.com

"A 500-pound man injured while tubing down a shallow stretch of the St. Croix River was pulled to safety Tuesday by dozens of rescue workers who spent hours carrying him to a navigable part of the waterway."

"he went on his first tubing trip because of his doctor's suggestion to take up a fun but safe activity."

·
Registered
9 Posts
High Water

I was up there last weekend and the water is only about 6 inches deep! Finally some white water news for MN and it has to be THIS

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Umm...whoa. I don't know what to say.

·
Registered
255 Posts
tubers

well now, from various posts last year, i'm quite educated that tubers are indeed extreme, and run lots of stuff that i don't have the balls to, but last night, as my crew is rolling up to BR on clear creek, we see a group of extreme tubers scoping screaming quarter mile.

did anyone see if they ran it? looks like way too much body abuse to me, and i'm shocked that someone would actually consider getting in there in a tube right now -

i don't like to get there in my tupperware when it's under 400, i can't imagine dangling my legs and ass in there at 250 or whatever it's running at.

anyone see those guys?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Unbelievable! :shock: Neither my SWR or EMT classes could prepare me to respond to situation like that. Good thing I decided to stick with engineering...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Unbelievable! :shock: Neither my SWR or EMT classes could prepare me to respond to situation like that. Good thing I decided to stick with engineering...
So instead you have the skills to design a floating truss and pully system to hoist and lift him across the river, using just one hand after your impressive use of mechanical advantage. I do believe I recall you doing a pretty good job of hoisting a fully loaded 8' wide raft onto its side tube to float it through a 4' wide slot with vertical cliff walls on each side....:D

COUNT

·
Registered
323 Posts
So instead you have the skills to design a floating truss and pully system to hoist and lift him across the river, using just one hand after your impressive use of mechanical advantage. I do believe I recall you doing a pretty good job of hoisting a fully loaded 8' wide raft onto its side tube to float it through a 4' wide slot with vertical cliff walls on each side....:D

COUNT
It's all about the triple Z-drag with 27:1 mechanical advantage. Still, with a 500 lb dude on the other end sitting on a deflated innertube in a river with 15 cfs in it, you might need two hands on the rope :twisted: .

Dude - I totally thought I could boof that slot with the raft. Then I learned one of engineering's important lessons. 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
this just demonstrates why its not always wise to just trust a doctor, especially one who isnt being very specific. my boss went to the dentist for a checkup, dentist told him to quit smoking (duh) so the next day the guy picks up a pack of nicotine gum, pops one, bites down and breaks a tooth! :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ah yes...nothing ensures our job security like nicotine gum.

You've uncovered the conspiracy. It was dentists who were initially responsible for the proliferation of tobacco products and nicotine addiction -- all with the forsight that nicotine gum would usher in a golden age.

That's right addicts...chew! Chew! Hahahahahahahah...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts