Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Deso for a July 21 launch...looking for info on camps- layover spots?, Also water sources? Anyone know where to get alum? Also- I am assuming that because you can purchase a Ute permit that they are being honored and the left side is fair game...is this a good assumption? Are there any particularly beachy camps?

Thanks- looking forward to my first time on Deso!!

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
River maps publishes an awesome guide for deso. RiverMaps Map Books
Camping tends to be ideal, with cotton wood shaded camps that have sandy beaches in front of them at low water. I've layed over at 3 canyon before, but i think you could find plenty of nice layover camps in deso.

Rock creek is considered the most reliable water source, it should be filtered, you may not camp there, including down stream on right for a ways.

Last i heard, Ute permits are once again being sold, and the tribe is honoring said permits now.
You can double check with them, contact info on rec.gov.

Also should be aware that the road to sand wash is a VERY rough 4 wheel drive road that becomes a sand wash( god i love driving down that wash!) that would we a problem with rain.
Best money you ever spend is paying River Runner's out of vernal to run shuttle for you, they do a great job, and it will save you an 8 hour shuttle. 800-nine 30-7238

Have fun!

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can buy alum in the spice or canning section of almost any large grocery store, it's used to make dill pickles more crispy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just got off Monday. Great Beaches everywhere.

Best place (and coolest) Water is available at Mcpherson Ranch from a natural spring.

Have fun.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Hey isn't mcpherson ranch private? I could be mistaken.
Camped oposite mcpherson once, and while we were there a truck drove up, hung a bunch of no trespassing sines, and left. Kinda weird.
The opposite mcpherson camp has burned in the last year or so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Deso Beta

Hey isn't mcpherson ranch private? I could be mistaken.
Camped oposite mcpherson once, and while we were there a truck drove up, hung a bunch of no trespassing sines, and left. Kinda weird.
The opposite mcpherson camp has burned in the last year or so.
Not sure. Never was in the past. I was a guide there in the 90's and we always filled up there. It is indian land, but we have always (commercially and private) filled up our water out of that nice cold clear spring coming out of the rocks behind McPherson.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I know they have tried to keep people out of the old motel there in the past (vandalism) but I have not known the tribe to prevent access to the old ranch. That said, we haven't stopped by the "creepy motel" in about 6 years.

Phillip

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
We got water there last month- black flexible pipe on the ground behind the old and "new" buildings. We had the Ute permit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts