Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the California Zephyr from Denver to Glenwood Springs today. We were not mooned once. Honestly, it was a little disappointing. I expect a better showing on the way back tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Yeah, because what better way to show the general public that rafters are regular folks like the rest of society? When it comes to fighting the next battle over riparian trespass, river access, or just deserving a bit of respect by the general public, I'm sure the memory of a rafter's sphincter will really help the cause. Maybe some skanky guy puking off the front of the boat would complete the picture...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, maybe. But I am a rafter, and I would have found it amusing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey pinemonkey13 saddle up sally we have a request for some chalky cheeks.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself

·
Registered
220 Posts
We used to do it all the time to the Royal Gorge train! I think it should be taught in all guide schools! No fruit baskets though guys, that is going toooo far.

Woke up this morning at 10:13.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gals flash the freight trains and guys moon the amtraks. SOP on my boat. It's gotta go both ways. Hitched a ride after dark from a UP employee on my way back to Pumphouse once. He told me the only reason he stopped, he was in a company truck, was because he felt he owed something back to the private boaters.

·
Donkey Punch
82 Posts
Yeah, because what better way to show the general public that rafters are regular folks like the rest of society? When it comes to fighting the next battle over riparian trespass, river access, or just deserving a bit of respect by the general public, I'm sure the memory of a rafter's sphincter will really help the cause. Maybe some skanky guy puking off the front of the boat would complete the picture...
Andy I think your in the wrong sport. Maybe you should go pick up the racquet and hit the country club. Don't be such a tight wad and relax. I seriously doubt that bare cheeks really hurt "the cause".

And by the way, it is tradition down here to moon the train, and all we ever hear are loud cheers. All though maybe its just cause I have an amazing azz!

Do you get booed when you do it, is that why your so against it??????

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Never mooned the Amtrak along sections of the Colorado myself but I have been on the train from Provo to Denver/Chicago a handful of times. I did fall in line with the AT tradition of mooning the narrow gauge near Mt Washington when I was 19 and will never forget having coal thrown at me.

Some people applaud it, many don't. The announcer, often an NPS employee or volunteer interpreter, often sets the tone. Most runs they warn folks ahead of time about the pending experience so many families and such head to their reserved chairs and away from the big windows of the traditional California Zephyr cars. There can definitely be some goading and waving. Loud cheers? Not sure about that as the windows are fixed except for the emergency releases.

Mooning trains is definitely a tradition in some places but I do think it impacts relations. Having talked with passengers (both the Amtrak along the Colorado and the private trains that interact with thru-hikers on the AT) most people view it as somewhat vulgar. It definitely plays into our drunken teenager/twenty-something reputation; I know I am kinda tired of that assumption by so many folks. Politics? Don't know enough about Colorado water law and history to take a guess there. I would wager if we ever wanted to lobby for more rafter-friendly train schedules (i.e. less night traffic) through places like the Upper C or Ruby/Horsethief our own behavior wouldn't give us much of a leg to stand on. But I am not sure that is ever going to be a feasible negotiation to begin with.

Phillip

·
Registered
447 Posts
You've got some good eyes and are focusing on the wrong places to see a sphincter from a moving train. Try not using your binoculars.

We were on the train a few years ago in December and I remember thinking it'd be funny to get mooned, people around us thought it was funny when we crossed Trough Road just downriver of Rancho and we knew the people waiting at the crossing. On a side note, I was told in a book Hillary Clinton referenced being mooned on her train ride through. Don't remember if she liked it it may help the next riparian battle.

Its a 30 year plus tradition if you don't have a sense of humor look away. If you give a shit what the general public think about you lighten up. At the gas station after their train ride..."Daddy those people are towing a raft are they gonna moon us?" "Look away sweetheart, look away". "They'll never get my vote more dams!"
If the general public is going to vote on water issues I hope it is a little more informed than some hag complaining they got mooned. On the other hand they might think its funny.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Yeah, it's a 30-year and likely longer tradition, and maybe I'm being a prude. But just because it's "always been done," do we need to encourage folks to moon passengers on the Amtrak?

In any other aspect of your life, what would you say about someone who gets their kicks making obscene gestures at complete strangers who have no way to retaliate?

-AH

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Back in the good old days.....you could moon a train and have a good laugh about it. Now days you do it and you end up on Facebook.....Twitter.....Youtube......and face the possibly of being on a sex offenders list somewhere. Sorry Bree......I'm afraid those days are numbered. Can't even pee behind a tree without the world knowing about it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a female, I get to bare the moon every time I take a leak away from facilities. I have a hard time getting worked up over seeing ass cheeks when mine make regular appearances. There were a number of folks on the train who would have found the spectacle amusing. I was curious what I would find online about it, most of the stories about mooning Amtrak I found were positive remembrances. Anyway, no one mooned on the way back either. I would have loved to have seen the reaction of the train passengers.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think Americans are way too uptight about nudity, I encourage my passengers to moon the people train.

When I went to Amsterdam last summer I got mooned by the drunken guy at his bachelor party ahead of me in line at the french fry shop, honestly it was pretty hilarious even after not sleeping for over 24 hours and is a fun memory for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amtrak digs it

We used to have a wonderful nude beach on the coast off Chuckanut Drive near Bellingham. Amtrak tracks were close enough to enjoy the view. I had occasion to meet one of the Amtrak employees who frequently worked aboard the train and asked him what they thought about that nude beach. His reply: "it's our favorite run!"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts