Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've heard some rumors, and I read that the funding is in place.

Who's in the loop on this? Where can I find the details??

All I've found online is the "River corridor master plan"

Hell yeah, Montrose!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's happening. Not sure where to find details on features, but I remember there being 5-6 kayak/whitewater structures planned.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes indeed, Montrose is planning on this being one of the main attractions to bring tourists into the community. I've had a nice long chat with Scott Murphy, the city engineer heading up this project, and was extremely pleased with the professional overall plan of this entire project. The initial plan as of now is for 6 features, mostly stretching thru the Riverbottom park area. The company doing this project is one of the best in the business, so cudos Montrose. If this turns out well it will be huge boost to the kayaking and rafting community in our area. The Uncompaghre River will never be a thrillseeker destination, but these drops will make our town run so much better. I will do my best to keep all updated on progress and hope to start my own rafting business next year. This river is ideal for beginners or older paddlers to learn a new sport. We shall see!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Awesome! I look forward to running this stretch! will it be completed by spring? and Gunther make sure to keep me in the loop if you start a rafting company!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1417421383.070849.jpg

Top two features are in place, they are looking good, already looking surf able at super low flow. It should be done by April! Shopping in Montrose with kayaks and bikes for pump track and skate park next to ww park. Yea Montrose!

·
$5 shower
65 Posts
First post!

I just went down to see the new construction on Saturday. It looks great.

I'm also excited as there is often more water in the Unc than in the Gunny for long periods of time. That stretch of the Unc is mostly an irrigation ditch and the farmers in Delta call for water all summer long. It should be a long season for that park.

Ken

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wish we could get one of these in Colorado Springs. Ya Ya, I know our water is mostly recycled sewage flowing at 32 cfs...but still....Montrose? They don't even have an indoor swimming pool....

·
Edd Franz, BLM Montrose
93 Posts
The Uncompahgre in Montrose carries a bunch of irrigation water through town, so the flows are almost always at a good floatable level through the whole boating season.

Unfortunately there's not a good river gauge to accurately reflect the flows through town. Consistent flows are provided by Ridgway Reservoir and the Gunnison Tunnel.

·
$5 shower
65 Posts
Is this park going to have any water? The daily statistics for the nearest 2 gauges on the Uncompagre don't look too promising:

USGS Surface Water data for Colorado: USGS Surface-Water Daily Statistics

USGS Surface Water data for Colorado: USGS Surface-Water Daily Statistics
edit: 205'd by Senior Franz. HI EDD!

The Unc in this stretch is basically an irrigation ditch. This data is a bit misleading as the flows change based on how many corn farmers in Delta call for water.

For an unbelieveably long time in 2014, there was more water in the Unc than in the Gunny. Between the two gages you reference, there is quite a bit dumping into the Unc via the Gunnison Tunnel and then being diverted for irrigation before Delta.

I'm no water expert but I've been fishing this stretch for over a decade and most years I have been disappointed by the high flow thru town.

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nice

I'm stoked that Montrose is getting a park. Now first step is to name one of the features the M-wave.

How does having six features make it the largest in the state? Golden, Boulder and The South Platte all have more features. South Platte has 14.5 miles of made park features. With two parks one at Union and one at Confluence Park.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went over the other day to scope the progress on the park.

Looks GREAT! First two features are complete (though I'm sure there is plenty of bank stabilization and such yet to be completed). Though shallow, both are definitely surfable at whatever low level the rio is at now. And both look well engineered / executed for the expected flows.

Work is in progress on #3 & 4.

The whole project is looking great, and seems to be moving right along!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts