Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have secured the whole month of may off from our jobs. I feel like a kid in a candy store. What should we do? Any trips we can tag along with. I have done the high sierra class V+ classics in a kayak, and done more than a few oar boat class IV's in a raft. The best raft runs have their permits full. I have access to all sorts of gear, including rafts and all the required multiday accouterments if required. We are also able to pay for catered/rental services. Looking for some great long desert trip groups to hitch up with. We are both 30 years old. I am an experienced boatman and engineer, and my wife is a family practice and ER Physician. Please let me know if you have any trip ideas for us!

Thanks,

Jake

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are 4 or 5 permits open on Recreation.gov right now for May launches on Deso/Gray Green River. You cant go wrong with that. An early Main Salmon trip would rock too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't have any permits, but I totally have the first couple weeks of May wide open. You are more than welcome to come down to AZ, pick me and my boat up and take me on any river that will float my 14'er. I just have to be back by the 15th. ;)

All kidding aside, I hope you find a good trip and have a great time.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Loma to Hite on the Colorado would be a sweet way to spend a couple weeks. Hookup with other groups for Westwater and Cataract rapids. You could even bring mountain bikes along and do a multi-day layover and overnight ride in Canyonlands!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Loma to Hite on the Colorado would be a sweet way to spend a couple weeks. Hookup with other groups for Westwater and Cataract rapids. You could even bring mountain bikes along and do a multi-day layover and overnight ride in Canyonlands!
Actually, according to the gubmint, it is illegal to transport bikes on the river through Canyonlands.

You can have shotguns, blenders, outboard motors and hand grenades, but no bicycles.

And no, I ain't kiddin'.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Actually, according to the gubmint, it is illegal to transport bikes on the river through Canyonlands.

You can have shotguns, blenders, outboard motors and hand grenades, but no bicycles.

And no, I ain't kiddin'.
That's right! Good looking out Mike! You could still hike a lot. The permit you need in advance is Westwater. Go online and see what's available and build the trip around that. It's Spring and it may be an early melt this year so look into levels for Westy and Cataract to make sure you're up to it.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
If you run loma to hite you can stop by the castle creek winery, kinda fun walking into the place in your p.f.d. to sample wine. There is a good camp a few miles down stream of westy take out, riv left with cotton woods,then camp at rock ledge on sandy beach just bellow dewey bridge. Onion creek sites are prime after that,awesome view of fisher towers, not really camping from take out beach till after moab. Jet boats from moab to spanish bottom. Fun trip, had a blast the 1 time i ran it!
Have fun whatever you end up doin!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A grand trip would be amazing, if you know of a group to tag along with. Also going through dinosaur would not be half bad, but I think I need to pick up a cancellation permit...is that possible?

keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I also like the Loma to Hite on the Colorado suggestion... But perhaps that Middle Fork thing will work out for you, buddy. If Idaho really is in the cards, you could do your own early season float down the Main Salmon. We may be on the Lochsa over Memorial Day, along with plenty of other people, if you time your take out right. . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts