Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
and 3) that the managing agency fears a very real threat of a lawsuit--and not being able to finalize/implement the project because it's tied up in court.

And for this reason, it is imperative that our written comments not only communicate what you think--but they very directly rebut the points and decisions made by the group/agency which gives the writer standing later in the process.
Which is what not having done an EA may do. Their EA was based on the prior planning and recommendations, which they scrapped. No new EA, and of course Beartrap was excluded from the original EA so they might by violating NEPA and MEPA, in addition to at least one other state law.

I took a break from this for pearls surgery but hope to wrap up things this weekend to have a good foundation/summary of our research for others to write letter from and to search for a lawyer to review these legal questions.

Does anyone have YouTube premium that can download a video for me? I'd rather not record an hour long meeting using a phone screen recorder. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Which is what not having done an EA may do. Their EA was based on the prior planning and recommendations, which they scrapped. No new EA, and of course Beartrap was excluded from the original EA so they might by violating NEPA and MEPA, in addition to at least one other state law.

I took a break from this for pearls surgery but hope to wrap up things this weekend to have a good foundation/summary of our research for others to write letter from and to search for a lawyer to review these legal questions.

Does anyone have YouTube premium that can download a video for me? I'd rather not record an hour long meeting using a phone screen recorder. Thanks!
Someone has got to have Youtube premium that can help me out with this. Bueller?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Thanks Wack!

I've "finalized" the research and information page (lots of new info, links, organization), and am now looking for attorneys to review it. I've contacted 7 conservation groups that might be interested in helping, let me know if you have any other ideas. Please use this information page to craft your letter, which is due OCTOBER 14. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
One week and three days to get your comments in!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the heck is going on that you should be concerned about?!?!
  • FWP is proposing a recommendation to BLM to implement a private boater (non-commercial) permit system that will restrict launches into Beartrap Canyon to one every half hour with four slots blocked out for commercial outfitters. Commercial outfitters ran a total of TWO trips one of the years that data was reported. This is a gross taking of public access and handed to for-profit commercial interests. The work group is full of conflicts of interests and is basically a commercial outfitter interest group.
  • We believe this recommendation is wrong for many reasons, and want FWP to NOT pass the Beartrap portion of the Work Group’s recommendations on to the BLM.
  • There is ZERO data to support implementing a restrictive private boaters permit system.
  • FWP does not have jurisdiction over private boaters in Beartrap Canyon, like they do on the upper and rest of the lower Madison river stretches. This work group is not recommending any restrictive permitting on private boaters on either of those other two stretches of the Madison River.

Comment here (see bottom for email address and webform):

41 - 46 of 46 Posts