Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do most of you guys afford this? I think I have a decent job but I know I cant afford 3 - 4 broken boats a year, a few lost paddles, gas to all of these destinations.....

Do you guys just sacrifice everything for the love of the sport or is there just something that I am missing?

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
My non-boating friends are pissed that I can never afford to hang out with them- priorities, priorities.

How do most of you guys afford this? I think I have a decent job but I know I cant afford 3 - 4 broken boats a year, a few lost paddles, gas to all of these destinations.....

Do you guys just sacrifice everything for the love of the sport or is there just something that I am missing?

·
Registered
260 Posts

Buy a higher quality boat and hold on to your fucking paddle basically.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
I sell high grade heroin to high school kids.
selling drugs to high school kids also epitomizes the american experience, just look.....a self made entrepreneur operating his small business with his loyal client base. its the american dream!

but more on topic, you're looking more at folks who tend to be gear abusive, or are possibly sponsored. most boaters don't have 4 boats lying around and most boaters dont have a steady supply of paddles sitting around. i know whenever i need a piece of gear i always have to work my finances so i can get it uber quick. if i have to live off some mac n cheese n tuna for a few days because of it......well, its worth it. since i started paddling the only gear i have replaced is my paddle (lost) and my ducky (needed a new one). everything else (skirt, hardshell, helmet, pfd, etc) ive had since i started.....like kevin said, just not as harshly.....just learn to keep a close eye on your shit and dont blatantly abuse it (oberlais you know what im talking about......your surprise ledge rock boof qualifies) and you should be good

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I'll spend a year in a "real job" and play on the weekends, then spend most of a year working and playing on the river. Hit repeat. It keeps my debt manageable and my head right.

The average American spends over $1000 on their cable bill. I might have to go watch football at friend's houses, but that's a G I spend on gear....

I also live with several roommates. College girls.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Buy a higher quality boat and hold on to your fucking paddle basically.

Spot on, Kevintee.

I think it sounds like you're fucking up too much. Don't swim and you won't lose your paddle and wrap your boat. I'm not a role model in this area so I'm not saying that from a high-horse (how do they get a horse high anyway?), but poor decisions increase your chances of swimming which in turn leads to lost & broken gear or worse.

Oh, and with respect to gas, carpool, do bike shuttles, and when possible take the little car instead of the monster truck. I have a friend with a Toyota Tundra who has twice done a trip to California with at least 5, maybe 6?, people each time in one truck and they had a moto-caddy with a motorcycle on the back for shuttles. Little uncomfortable in the truck, but are you going to boat or for the car ride? Stack that sucker up high and have a great time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Spot on, Kevintee.

I think it sounds like you're fucking up too much. Don't swim and you won't lose your paddle and wrap your boat. I'm not a role model in this area so I'm not saying that from a high-horse (how do they get a horse high anyway?), but poor decisions increase your chances of swimming which in turn leads to lost & broken gear or worse.

Oh, and with respect to gas, carpool, do bike shuttles, and when possible take the little car instead of the monster truck. I have a friend with a Toyota Tundra who has twice done a trip to California with at least 5, maybe 6?, people each time in one truck and they had a moto-caddy with a motorcycle on the back for shuttles. Little uncomfortable in the truck, but are you going to boat or for the car ride? Stack that sucker up high and have a great time.
???Yeah, you guys got it right (insert sarcasm HERE). Brokern gear and lost paddles is 100% attributable to swims and poor decision making. (insert MORE sarcasm HERE) As has been mentioned on the buzz numerous times this season, boats break. And in my opinion, if you creek there are two things that WILL happen. 1) you will swim, 2) you will break boats. It sucks, but IMO, this is the price of admission. I've never lost or broken a paddle or boat in a swim, but I have broken boats and paddles on the river. I paddle about 50 days a year, and that spells about 1 broken boat (2 this season) and a replaced paddle almost every year. And I am not sacrifcing on quality, which is about the same from any of the big name manufacturers, and we do try and cut costs as much as possible by cramming people into cars, cooking our own food on road trips, buying cheap beer, etc. I definitely paddle my fair share of Front Range mank, but I broke 1 of my boats in Norway this year, which is everything but manky! So to answer the question...it is freakin hard to afford, and between international and domestic travel, gear, food, etc...I would say that I sacrafice just about every other form of entertainment and almost all my vacation time to be able to be on the river as much as possible. Which is probably why chiks can't deal with my shit from April - September:-D Probably a good thing I don't live somewhere with year round paddling!

·
Registered
260 Posts
???Yeah, you guys got it right (insert sarcasm HERE). Brokern gear and lost paddles is 100% attributable to swims and poor decision making. (insert MORE sarcasm HERE)
Didn't exactly sound like we were talking about Class V mank.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Pretty much. Ramen is 6 cents a pack and seasonings like ketchup, salt, pepper, tabasco, etc. are free at any reputable eatery, as well as water. Next step is ditching the rent check and living out of my car. That'll save me at least a couple grand a year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
CGM is right, though this all applies to creek boating only.

It's not like we are breaking 4 boats each a year. 1 a year is a good avg with some rougher years. Depending on how new the boat is and the maker, you may warranty it, or buy a new full (for cheaper). The may thing is this, if you're going to paddle hard shit, have gear that works. My first year I broke 2 cheap paddles. The 3rd time I spent the $ for something that lasts.

If you're boating class 3/4 you shouldn't have problems unless it's countless yard-sales.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Damn Count can't you even afford a bag of frozen peas to put in that ramen;) Get yourself a stock of government cheese. I can still use every boat I've ever owned ,probably avg 75 days a year.Beat the hell out of em' and fix em' ,don't run hair though.Even if you don't break em you will want new boats as you progress and as better boats come along.If you don't work at a shop or have connections I'd say a boat every two years would be about normal.Other gear the same you will want better stuff and lose /break stuff just how it is.I have gone about 3 or 4 years without buying a paddle but I use several different ones i have ,just old beaters,I have broken 3 in one season too

The high gas prices really put a damper on roaming the region this year.If you are middle or lower class you gotta live cheap and give up bling bling to paddle, travel a lot.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
A story I like to live by:

An American businessman went down to Mexico for a business conference. His company put him up in a nice hotel in a small beach town. In one of his free afternoons, he went down to the beach and enjoy the beautiful Mexican sea-breeze. While sitting on the beach, he noticed a man fishing in a small dinghy out in the bay. At the end of the day, the man rows in, walks to the restaurant on the beach and sells all his fish for 12 pesos.

The American businessman thinks nothing of it, goes and has dinner and then strolls to the cervezeria and orders a cold Corona. As he's sitting at the bar, he sees the very same fisherman come up, spend 6 pesos on a meal and another 6 pesos on a beer.

The next two nights, the businessman goes down to the same cervezeria and sees the same fisherman spend half his money on food and half his money on beer. On the third night, the businessman has had enough. He sits down next to the fisherman and says,

"So I've been watching you sell your fish every day and then come here and spend half your money on food and the rest on beer. Why don't you save the rest of your money instead of drinking it away?"

The fisherman says "And what would I do with the money?"

"Well, you could save your money every night and then eventually you could buy another fishing boat and pay someone to fish it for you and make twice as much money when you sell both boat-loads of fish."

"And then what?"

"Well then you could use that money and have 4 fishing boats."

"And then what?"

"Well then you could buy 4 more fishing boats and have 8."

"And then what?"

"Then you could buy a whole fleet of fishing boats and never have to go out and work yourself."

"And then what?

"Well, then you could sell your fleet of boats, retire, buy a little dinghy, go out fishing every day and drink beer every night."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have yet to break a boat or lose a paddle. I was just curious after reading some of the posts on here how you guys afford stuff. i was trying to buy a creek boat this year and I just couldn't come up with the money for one, even a used one. I guess I'm not sacrificing enough. Thanks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pretty much. Ramen is 6 cents a pack and seasonings like ketchup, salt, pepper, tabasco, etc. are free at any reputable eatery, as well as water. Next step is ditching the rent check and living out of my car. That'll save me at least a couple grand a year.
This works if you have given up on female compainionship...

Not a step I'm willing to take.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Count - where do you get Ramen for 6¢ a pack? Here in Boulder they want at least 35¢, and often more.

Rafts don't break like kayaks and raft paddles are left like pieces of candy on river banks across the nation. Break one, no biggie, just pick out a new one on the river bank and -poof- you are set. Break your raft - $30 or less in glue and hypalon and you are set to go. The initial investment is a bit higher, but in the long run it is cheaper. And kayakers on multi days will buy you beer and give you gas money for carrying their crap. It is really a win win.

In fairness rafts aren't nearly as suitable for creek boating, but then again this season I ran the Upper NF Poudre, Big South, and Bailey. Other rafters ran the Embudo, Valecito, and lots of other creeks outside our region. I also ran the Salt, the Dolores, Gore, Shoshone, Upper/Lower Rustic, Mish to Bridges, Lawson to Town, Lower Clear Creek, Browns, and I am heading to the Grand Canyon and probably Cat as well. Rafting ain't bad, and you can get a new shredder, or 12 ft raft for less than $2000 new.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Raftus, it's a given that the all natural Boulder hippie ramen is going to cost more. But seriously, I don't think I've ever paid more than ten cents apiece. Maybe you're looking at Cup 'O Noodles instead? That gourmet stuff is spendy.

COUNT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts