Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, no money (umm, not unless you want to) - just needing some advice from kayakers out there who are blind as f#$* like I am! So I'm not gonna lay out my river log here, I'll just say I can row a boat, and I've been seriously stirred to make the switch to paddling.

So to the issue: I wear contacts and have forever fought with them enough in rafts and duckies. All of you God-given, piss-poor vision, contact-wearing boaters out there know of that inevitable few-second, blurry, contact about-to-peel-off-my-eye, "I'm seeing a white light" blindness during rapids that I speak of. So damnit, I can't imagine being in a kayak with contacts on a regular basis. I've always gone blind at pool sessions-not so realistic. Note: I'm also poor as f#$*, so that rules out lasix. (Gear first, eyesight second, right? or maybe not?) This isn't intended to be a stupid question. How the hell do you blind, non-surgically corrected people deal with contacts/glasses in a kayak? I've seen glasses get sucked off your heads a couple of times to think that's the answer? What are your recommendations? Do I just suck it up and use jedi mind skills? I don't have any of those, but if that's the only answer, I'll take it. Thanks much! Have it good.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Work with your eye doc to get free samples of differnt contacts, find one that sticks to your eye through the meat. Ciba Daily works well for me..plus you can throw 'em out at the end of the day. Ciba doesn't work for some buddies of mine.

Also, splash your open eyes with water before the first rapid, this seems to help keep them stuck to your peepers.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
How about some goggles? Probably look dorky, but they might work. You can even get them RX.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I used to wear my glasses with a croakie and that worked fine except for the fact that the water on the lenses drove me crazy. So now I just boat blind. Sorry that doesn't help much.

COUNT

P.S. I've heard some people use some sort of anifog/antiwater spray on their lenses that keeps drops from collecting on the lenses.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
rediculousy big glasses

this is easy problem to fix

first go to dollor store

second buy the biggest set of lenses possible than you have a face sheild.

croakie strap if you want but $1 store glasses are the bomb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts