Mountain Buzz banner

Monarch Pass BC 12-13

4374 22
Well, Monarch Pass finally recieved a respectable dump with 13" falling out of this last storm. I am heading up to do my first bc trip of the year, looking at maybe Perfect Trees or dropping over into the North Fooses Headwall or Pecker Face. Should be a good opportunity to dig around a little and get familiar with the early season snowpack. I usually do these trips solo, but anyone interested in joining me is welcome.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Harv we were up at monarch sunday. Not a ton of snow but starting to fill in. Thought about going to the bc up at indy pass but with the winds and the new snow ended up lookin like in bounds monarch was a good choice for sunday.

I also took a sled out solo at daybreak here around bv today just to see what conditions are like. The sunrise was great at -15 to -20 deg @ 12,136 ft.. Everything else sucked.. Had some coffee and came home. It needs some time to settle and fill in out there IMO.

Last year a slide in trees ran like that for 500+ yds... It would have beat a skier bad. Another super skechy - wierd - or normal snowpack startin for us here in Colorado..

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Gladstone ridge ends up at the gladstone mine. AKA ruben's place... He is just about as cool of cat as there is here in BV and his cabin as well as where you will end up is denny creek or around the campground.

Easiest way is to go up there is the ptarmigan road (a mile or so up from denny creek take the ROAD not the TRAIL) the gate was opened Thurs.. This road/trail can take you all the way to the lake if you know where to go.. Some good skiing up there on the right day!! Walk up that road or better hitch a ride with snowmachine.. At the the last switchback there is another old road that will take you over to the ridge... It can be seen on google earth.

I would say that there is not enough snow yet. There are good glades but there is a ton of downfall as well. Some sections of tight, tight, trees.. Sometimes we lap the stuff right off the ptarmigan road if the conditions are right but that is usually in March.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I am up for some turns, but are you talking at Monarch or BC? With the avalanche danger being as high as it is, I plan on just skiing at Monarch.

It is dumping here at work in Fairplay, what is it doing in Gunny?
Dumping??? No snow here... Nothing to see.. ;)

Just kiddin I have been out the past couple of days and yes it is dumping... Feet and feet and feet dumping...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.