Mountain Buzz banner

Monarch Pass BC 12-13

4374 22
Well, Monarch Pass finally recieved a respectable dump with 13" falling out of this last storm. I am heading up to do my first bc trip of the year, looking at maybe Perfect Trees or dropping over into the North Fooses Headwall or Pecker Face. Should be a good opportunity to dig around a little and get familiar with the early season snowpack. I usually do these trips solo, but anyone interested in joining me is welcome.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
folks...be careful for a little bit on Monarch. It is as bad a start as I can remember up there and I not usually prone to these interweb warning posts. Two of my buddies triggered a slide on the pass on Saturday and yesterday I got an inbounds run to move with me just after patrol dropped the rope. Shitty early season depth hoar, high winds through the first couple of dumps, super frigid temps yesterday...it is kind of gnarly right now. Plus the snowpack is thinner here than many places around the State and things are going to slide to the ground. Cartwheeling through scree=bad day.

· Registered
811 Posts
Harv we were up at monarch sunday. Not a ton of snow but starting to fill in. Thought about going to the bc up at indy pass but with the winds and the new snow ended up lookin like in bounds monarch was a good choice for sunday..
yeah I had fun up there yesterday but still pretty thin and hollow. we need a bunch of snow and let things slide and start over.

· Registered
811 Posts
" Some have said that the sensitivity of the snowpack near Monarch Pass area is the touchiest they can remember in many years." CAIC this morning. Talked to Hixon yesterday, he said the things in the Cat Area are going large...without much encouragement. I am gearing up for a powder day tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.