Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: Looking to do a self-contained kayak trip through Cataract in June. A friend gave me these shuttle contacts in Moab: Black Dog, Road Runner, and Coyoteshuttles. Who's best? Any others? Want to have my vehicle at the bottom.

·
Registered
189 Posts
dunno the latest, but we drove to Hite (3ish yrs ago) and had Red Tail Aviation fly us to Mineral Bottom. Definitely wanted to be driving shuttle that day! I think Min. Bot. is not possible now; you'd have to go to Moab and catch a ride down from there. The flight back up the river was cool tho'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Moab shuttle services

Coyote, Roadrunner, and Desert SW are all good river shuttle companies in Moab. Call them to see who's availible... Coyote = 435-259-8656, RR = 435-259-9402, and DSW = 435-259-3512

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think we used coyote shuttle last year with no problems, don't know anything about the others.

You're going to try and squeeze enough gear to go from moab to hite into your kayak?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just got off cat yesterday. Roadrunner's great, but they do a minimum of two vehicles. I've also used Atomic Shuttle compnay in the past.

On a sidenote, the current from below Imperial to the take out is really quick. We made 5+ miles per hour rowing, and still just floated the last couple. It's changed quite a bit in the past two years, and continues to cut down the lake sediments. Camping down there is grime, but it's easy to make the take out even in a short winter day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Everyone's standard at about 150.00 per vehicle. Most will keep your car on their property until the drop off day, which is a really nice security measure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D Thanks all. I've made a couple of calls and now have some contacts. Tea: Thanks for the phone numbers; Surfpimp: Cost looks to be in the $150 range; jaffy: It's called asceticism, and if things get hard one begs alms or does stupid boat tricks for the commercials.

Looks like some big water in Cat come June!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cat trip

I have a permit for Cat, June 20th-July 1st. We're looking for some raft support for a handful of kayakers. I used to guide Cat so this trip is going to have a lot of hiking and canyoneering. Steve Allen will be on the trip he wrote a technical canyoneering guide book of the area. Post me an email if you're interested. Strider

·
Registered
80 Posts
We took out at the "new" take out. It's just below the confluence wit hthe Dirty Devil. The road leave Rt 95 just south of the Hite overlook where north canyon comes down to the river.

It's a really craptastic take out. There's no eddy, and the bank's being eaten away. The Rec area has tried to stabilize it with cobbles, but according to the Hite supervisor we talked to, they're losing the battle. Right now, it's a steep slope for about 10 feet up to a flat area. And, it's steep -- maybe 25 degrees of loose rock and dirt. The shuttle driver left the vehicles there so we were able to see them from the river. (I could have missed it other wise.) We were able to carry my 14 foot up pretty easily with the frame on. An 18 footer could be a real pain in the ass, and there's no getting a trailer to the river. The only good thing to saw about it is there'sno mud. but this could all change with increased flows.

The supervisor said some of the commerical outfits would like to blade another road in from hite through the muck to river left, but there are't a lot of options there either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts