Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been posted before but it did not come up in a search
What is the best flow rate for the MD? Biggest waves. I'm told at the current flow the rapids a basically washed out!

CI

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I'm sure this has been posted before but it did not come up in a search
What is the best flow rate for the MD? Biggest waves. I'm told at the current flow the rapids a basically washed out!

CI
I have been down the daily section 3 times and honestly can not remember any rapids at any time.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There is indeed a wave that exists beginning around 8-10K that flips 16' rafts, not sure if it washes out when it gets higher. If memory serves, it is at the Castle Creek Rapid. The unexpected nature of a big wave along this 'calm' stretch catches a lot of people off guard. There is a nice camp there that provides good carnage viewing and opportunity for rescue at higher levels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New Rapid has been bigger than the rest while flows have been above 20k. We helped out a group that flipped in New a few weeks ago at 32.5k.

If you go looking there are some good holes in Rocky and Whites, but otherwise most of the fun is just rolling waves.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We nearly flipped our 15.5' raft in New rapid a couple of days ago. Got caught in the eddy and re-entering the current almost flipped us. My mother in law flipped her ducky in rocky rapid and she ended up swimming through the eddy on the right. It ended up being a little bit of a traumatic trip for my two kids in my boat. Water was bigger than I had expected.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
I've been through at 30,000+ and New Rapid (seriously needs a real name) was taking boats back upriver faster than boats were going down. It took a lot of pulling to not get recirculated and the eddies fences were very powerful. Rocky rapid took an unsuspecting duckier further right than expected and they ended up stuck against the cliff unable to get back into the current and flipped when they tried.

·
Registered
520 Posts
At 9-10 K, New Rapid is by far the biggest. 5ft standing waves with some side laterals from the wall. Decent rapid. everything else at that flow was cake.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Whats the run like at say 3-6k? I'd like to take some kids through there this fall or next spring. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Whats the run like at say 3-6k? I'd like to take some kids through there this fall or next spring. Thanks
Those are the flows I have ran it at in the fall and thought it was a float more than anything else. I'm running it in a 16' cat, very stable boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts