Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning to do the Moab Daily this weekend and was hoping for any input on the following:

1) Are the put in and take out's flooded? Are the boat ramps at Hittle Bottom, Take out Beach and Moab Bridge usable?

2) Are there any rapids/ hole to note? I had never run it before last year and at 9k the hole in white's rapid (I think that is the name) was a good one.

3) Is there any good kayak or Sup play at this level?

4) is there a usable takeout at the 191 bridge at Moab?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Access- The acces will all get better with water (Dewey, Hittle, Take OUt) they are steep and water will help to cover the ledge drop of sand that is normally there.

rapids- only ran it at 10K...and the "New Rapid" (before Rocky Rapid) was by far the biggest (large standing waves). Whites was run anywhere but the right side.

that is all i know

·
Sponsoring Vendors
81 Posts
There is a good take-out boat ramp on river right, immediately upstream of the highway bridge in Moab. It's frequently used by outfitters for launches to Potash and Cataract.
Upstream access should be much easier at these flows, as the concrete ramps at Dewey, Hittle Bottom, Rocky Rapid, and Salt Wash/Take-Out landing will actually be in the water.

As for rapids, i expect most will be washed out. New Rapid will have large waves on river left, and a hole just right of center at the top. At high flows the river-right eddy at Rocky Rapid (against the wall) can get very dynamic and swirly. Ive had my raft tubes sucked into a vortex while trying to get out of that thing. At 37-38K, it might not be an issue, since you can run much farther left...

If you can, please take the time to participate in American Whitewater's short flow survey for this section. We need all the reports we can get!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quick run

I ran the daily yesterday from Dewey Bridge to the town ramp at 191. It was an incredibly fast run. 30 river miles in under 6 hours including a couple of small stops. There are some big waves to be had in Whites and Rocky etc but the river is wide enough that you can choose to take the rapid or just go around. Lots of strong eddys/whirlpools/boils.

The usual stop at take-out is difficult at this level. There is little to no eddy, current right on the ramp. All the other ramps looked easier than usual. Because of the river speed I'd recommend just adding the lower stretch down to the town ramp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts