Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda a sister thread to the Ruby/horsethief at 20K+. Anything class 3+ kayakers need to be wary of, from Dewey to Moab at this flow?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Straightforward

Nothing in particular to worry about except a big hole develops on the far right in White's rapid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll chime in since we just got off today (26K or so). Yes, it would still be considered easy for a competent III+ boater but there were bigger objective hazards than people are giving this credit for at this level. It's flooding and it showed through random, irregular features such as massive whirlpools and boils seemingly coming out of nowhere. More specifically, the meat line at New Rapid drops you directly into one of these enormous whirlpools and you really can't see it over the wave train until you're charging toward it. We had a friend take a long, deep swim along the right wall at Rocky Rapid where there are three mean, undercut cliffs with very strong eddies. We saw a lot of close calls from folks (mainly commercial customers in IKs) with no idea of the added hazards that a flooded river brings.

Yes, I found it easy but after our scary swim/rescue and all the other threads about close calls and death this year it's important to realize how quickly it can go from easy to very serious. Be prepared and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
984 Posts
In >90 %ile flows the Rapids we know about generally aren't the problem. It's the little side features that magically appear that wreak much of the havoc amongst us. Many class II stretches develop boat-flipping holes in unpredictable places. Don't let your guard down...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts