Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did they close? Went there yesterday for some stuff and it was closed, dark and desolate looking. If this is true, does anyone know if they just maybe moved?!!!!!

I REALLY REALLY hope they didn't close :cry:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Mountainmiser is one of the best shops in the state and will truely be missed. Best of luck to David and all of the staff at the Miser.

David, I will meet you under chair one.....Kensel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mountain Miser Closed?

Tragic. Kensel, it's not only one of the best in Colorado, it's easily one of the very best in the country. Where else are you going to see such a wide range of top notch equipment? Kansas? Florida? Ohio?

He'd better not be moving back to Texas. If I recall, his lease should be up around now.

Chair 1....see you soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wishing them well is fine and good but they were in the process of doing a warranty replacement on my EZG! They called a couple weeks ago and told me it would be another couple weeks before the new boat was to arrive. If anyone knows how to get in touch with them please post or pm me.

I did drop an e-mail to wavesport, but if anyone knows who the rep is these days, let me know.

Kris

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good luck David with whatever you do. We will miss you and your shop.

N

·
0 Posts
Let this be a lesson to us!

Everyone should take notice of this trend. We need to support our local shops and be strong with holding out on conveinent internet price gouging. It seems we have some options. Make a conscious decision to purchase as much paddling apparel that meets your needs with the local shop you like, or you might be out of luck with that same day purchase you need to go boating. What happens when you slice your only spray skirt and want to hit your favorite creek run that is finally releasing. What will our options be if BOC, Alpineglow, Golden River Sports, and Confluence go the way of the Dodo? Keep this in mind when you order your boat online new for $100 cheaper than your shop can provide it for (taxes and shipping).

Not everything that you may need will be at your local shop. But when you do a price comparison (of something they have in stock) or search for a certain product and then choose to shop online because it is cheaper, you are putting your local store out of business.

This shop was not only kayaking obviously. But with the rise of e-comerce and e-bay these guys that take care of us will have to rely on their loyal locals! Lets not miss the real point.

NH

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just wait til walmart sells boats :twisted:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think that a lot of the people you buy stuff online from are people like www.mountainmiser.com. I think people like them who have brick and morter stores and add the e-com element are the most successful. It is so easy now to set up e-commerce that a lot of the people you are buying from online are the same mom 'n pop shops that are in your neighborhood. I guess my point is that shopping online isn't selling out or anything, especially when you are still supporting someone's local shop who happens to have spent some time setting up a web site.

If it weren't for eBay and boat swaps, I probably never would have been able to start boating, either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with big Nick

Think globally shop locally. When you have great mom and pops in your area, buy from them. And do not ask for Brodeals. Brodeals don't pay the bills. Many times the good deals on line aren't such good deals. When
you need service and warranty help.

Chad and Earl do a great job with E-Sales. But they are hitting the parts of the country that do not have the great kayak stores like we have here.

David good luck and sorry to see the shop go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Kris,

This is Gary, I was the Kayaking department manager. I was out of town for the first part of the winter and you ezg 42 came in while I was out of town. Please give me any info; full name, dates, etc... and I will work with the wavesport guys to get you your new boat.

So for the trouble,

Gary
[email protected]

·
Registered
861 Posts
First of all, I am sorry to the owners of Mtn Miser. I never shopped at the store, but it is always a bummer to see a local business have to shut down.

I just want to chime in and disagree with what NHINDS posted. So, as Ron Burgundy says, "I agree to disagree"

Whitelightning's post said it very well! Most of the online kayaks shop ARE the local mom and pops stores, and are NOT big corporations. The kayaking industry is very, very small; therefore, it is only natural for these businesses to adapt to the competitive market and build online websites. With the increase in e-commerce shopping worldwide, it would seem logical and intelligent for a local shop to build an online store. For these shops to sit back and wish everybody shopped locally would be a great way for their business to never make any money or to become extinct. It is not fair to blame consumers for wanting to shop online. Especially if these consumers don't have a local shop or prefer a certain shop because they receive extrodinary customer service, a variety of choices, and, yes, competitive prices.

There are way to many other factors that contribute to the growing trend that NHINDS mentioned. Labeling online shopping as the sole problem to a local business shutting down is not a fair statement.

Later

1 - 20 of 44 Posts