Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Do kayakers ever run the Stoney River E of Babbitt?

Cool, I just found some video on youtube. We used to hike in there to likely what is called The Box.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Why were you in Babbitt, that is the definition of bum f*ck Egypt?
Couldn't agree more, but it was better than the cities or nearly anywhere else in MN. I was born in Ely and grew up in Babbitt. Got the hell out of the state as soon as I graduated from high school. Just as the last mines were closing (for the first time) back in the mid 80's. Haven't been to Babbitt since probably '88 or '89.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ihowemt, I haven't paddled that yet, not saying it doesn't get done, the MN crowd seems like they chase down every imaginable drainage, John Kifmyer has a knack for looking at everything

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Cool post. I'm never sick of paddlers posting up cool trip reports to interesting places with nice pics and video. Keep em coming Baer!

I am sick of mountainbuzz wankers who complain about shit and use the buzz for bad vibes though... That shits lame.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Ihowemt, I haven't paddled that yet, not saying it doesn't get done, the MN crowd seems like they chase down every imaginable drainage, John Kifmyer has a knack for looking at everything
It is a beautiful area, I recommend checking it out. At least when I was a kid it was off the beaten path.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Agreed Deep South. But then again, the tools that do post negative shit let me know who to avoid paddling with. I can only assume their paddling skills and boating awareness are as unintelligent as their posts.
Great vid Baer, thanks for sharing and keep on keeping on moving down those ever impressive rivers we all love and enjoy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Double bonus if you are in mn and cranking it. It's so easy to do a gnar gnar TR about some rad trip in the west, but you have to be committed and creative to find the goods, of all sports, in MN.
Actually no. The North Shore probably has the one of the highest concentrations of class IV/V creeks of anywhere in North America. Yes, the season is short, but when things are going, you can get in a ton of quality whitewater in a very short time -- and you can make it as burly as you want.

The video Baer posted was interesting but FAR from what passes for good whitewater in MN. Hopefully the next update will actually show some of that quality.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,234 Posts
http://youtu.be/IuPfwX1Tz0E]Waterfall to NOWHERE! Mysterious Devil's Kettle on the Brule River, Minnesota - YouTube
Actually no. The North Shore probably has the one of the highest concentrations of class IV/V creeks of anywhere in North America. Yes, the season is short, but when things are going, you can get in a ton of quality whitewater in a very short time -- and you can make it as burly as you want.

The video Baer posted was interesting but FAR from what passes for good whitewater in MN. Hopefully the next update will actually show some of that quality.
Agreed. We go to my wife's family cabin in Grand Marais at the end of every summer and some of those drops coming down into the big lake are gnarley.
This the Devil's Kettle on the Brule. The locals have put stuff like dyes and pingpong balls down it to find out where it comes out but nothing ever did. And yes it has been run... On the left side I would guess.
http://youtu.be/IuPfwX1Tz0E]Waterfall to NOWHERE! Mysterious Devil's Kettle on the Brule River, Minnesota - YouTube

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yo Spaghetti-that dude Baer is a legend and deserves no hassles.
Well, now I wouldn't go that far. I'm sure Baer totally deserves hassling of the utmost degree! Only, giving him hell for a trip writeup is rather laughable.

I lived in MN for 8 years and never got to run any of the North Shore. It was the products of working for a university with graduation and finals right during the runoff coupled with a string of terrible runoff years. Looks like this is a good year with all that late snow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts