Mountain Buzz banner

Would you buy a Mixmaster 2.0 and return to full slice goodness.

• Full slice is dead stop trying to make it happen.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Mixmaster! I’m really excited to see Dagger drop the full slice Nova. I’m hoping Jackson will take up arms and retaliate with a mixmaster 2.0. What do you guys think? Is Full Slice dead or is would you buy?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Full Slice boats are great and a lot of fun...I'd say more so, for me, then the little spud boats like the Rockstar. I guess my question is... if you love your mixmaster what would you want changed to justify a version 2.0? I saw some comments from the folks at Jackson saying they can't really do more then one new design a year anymore (multiple sizes don't count)... so whatever they do its gotta be worth it.

Neither of your vote options really fit my views so I didn't vote. I think some new full slice boats are always welcome and worth designing and selling...but I may or may not join in. I've been looking pretty hard at the Pyranha Ozone... which some are calling more of a 3/4 slice since it has a slicey stern that is great for stern squirts but a sort of slicy bow that is supposedly harder to throw down. I'm not too worried about that...just want something that is a nice surfing boat and comfortable and can kind of do some hole play and such.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Pretty much x2 to what EM said. The new generation of river runners/slices out these days is awesome. To get the “old school slice” design fun with the comfort of raised decks and new outfitting is an awesome progression. Takes me back and is cool to see what the new generation does with them. Hope it continues.

EM - I threw down for a lg Ozone this spring. At my height/weight it is for all practical purposes a full slice. Wish it was a better water year as I only have ~20 days mostly on town run with some upper C and Shoshone before the disaster. Totally digging it, but also totally relearning edges and being lazy. Fun for sure as long as you are driving it, but I am also apparently getting old so it still checks my ego. If ur ever passing through the boat you can check it out or take it for a paddle.

Please let it snow this winter

❄☃❄

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Pretty much x2 to what EM said. The new generation of river runners/slices out these days is awesome. To get the “old school slice” design fun with the comfort of raised decks and new outfitting is an awesome progression. Takes me back and is cool to see what the new generation does with them. Hope it continues.

EM - I threw down for a lg Ozone this spring. At my height/weight it is for all practical purposes a full slice. Wish it was a better water year as I only have ~20 days mostly on town run with some upper C and Shoshone before the disaster. Totally digging it, but also totally relearning edges and being lazy. Fun for sure as long as you are driving it, but I am also apparently getting old so it still checks my ego. If ur ever passing through the boat you can check it out or take it for a paddle.

Please let it snow this winter

❄☃❄
How much do you weigh? I saw a review from someone about my size (265-275) that said he really liked it and was very comfortable in it. I'm hoping its not overly tail friendly. Seems the general trend lately is for people to slam the seat all the way back for easy stern squirts...but I found that to be too tail friendly for me so I'm usually centered or one hole forward of center if it fits. The only kayak I've bought in the last decade was Pyranha Ripper and bumping it a couple of holes forward made it much more friendly to paddle.

Still waiting for someone to design a dynamic and responsive boat for us 250lb and up guys that isn't just a copy, enlarge and paste of the smaller kayaks. If someone made a full slice for us...I'd probably be all over it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full Slice boats are great and a lot of fun...I'd say more so, for me, then the little spud boats like the Rockstar. I guess my question is... if you love your mixmaster what would you want changed to justify a version 2.0? I saw some comments from the folks at Jackson saying they can't really do more then one new design a year anymore (multiple sizes don't count)... so whatever they do its gotta be worth it.

Neither of your vote options really fit my views so I didn't vote. I think some new full slice boats are always welcome and worth designing and selling...but I may or may not join in. I've been looking pretty hard at the Pyranha Ozone... which some are calling more of a 3/4 slice since it has a slicey stern that is great for stern squirts but a sort of slicy bow that is supposedly harder to throw down. I'm not too worried about that...just want something that is a nice surfing boat and comfortable and can kind of do some hole play and such.
Admittedly I wouldn’t change much. Maybe a bit more rocker and an adjustable bulkhead like the antix . The biggest thing is production since it’s a discontinued boat. I love full slice and I think it’s the low water boat of the future if This is the apocalypse then let me throw ends!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
How much do you weigh? I saw a review from someone about my size (265-275) that said he really liked it and was very comfortable in it. I'm hoping its not overly tail friendly. Seems the general trend lately is for people to slam the seat all the way back for easy stern squirts...but I found that to be too tail friendly for me so I'm usually centered or one hole forward of center if it fits. The only kayak I've bought in the last decade was Pyranha Ripper and bumping it a couple of holes forward made it much more friendly to paddle.

Still waiting for someone to design a dynamic and responsive boat for us 250lb and up guys that isn't just a copy, enlarge and paste of the smaller kayaks. If someone made a full slice for us...I'd probably be all over it.
I am in that range I am pretty sure, don't own a scale and it has been a while, definitely 250+. Given the pandemic pounds that also seemed to happen this year I should probably buy a scale. 6'3" tall w/ 32 inch inseam.

Definitely had to play with outfitting and seat placement, like you once I moved it forward one spot it made a huge difference. Given my height that is as far as I will be able to move it but the trim of the boat looks right on water. Biggest difference for me is the width/length, skinnier and longer than the Jackson's I have been boating. Makes it much faster and responsive but also a little less primary stability. I am still figuring it out but would say it should be on your list to try, definitely feel it is more responsive and dynamic than anything I have paddled recently. I got what I wanted in the boat design change, now I just need to dial in my down river fun paddling again. Doubt I would ever push past low water class 4 with it, still need another boat and that true half slice for anything pushing class 4 at normal water levels : - )

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Admittedly I wouldn’t change much. Maybe a bit more rocker and an adjustable bulkhead like the antix . The biggest thing is production since it’s a discontinued boat. I love full slice and I think it’s the low water boat of the future if This is the apocalypse then let me throw ends!
A bulkead like the Antix and most other Creeker/Half Slice boats is hard to do in a playboat and especially in one with slicy ends. My understanding with the MixMaster (and the LL Home Slice) was that they were trying to basically make it as skinny in the front as possible while still being reasonably comfortable. Dragorossi tried a foot sled system with a ratchet up the middle a decade ago that kind of did the same thing...but finding room for all that hardware without interfering with your legs in a skinny boat is pretty hard.

I am in that range I am pretty sure, don't own a scale and it has been a while, definitely 250+. Given the pandemic pounds that also seemed to happen this year I should probably buy a scale. 6'3" tall w/ 32 inch inseam.

Definitely had to play with outfitting and seat placement, like you once I moved it forward one spot it made a huge difference. Given my height that is as far as I will be able to move it but the trim of the boat looks right on water. Biggest difference for me is the width/length, skinnier and longer than the Jackson's I have been boating. Makes it much faster and responsive but also a little less primary stability. I am still figuring it out but would say it should be on your list to try, definitely feel it is more responsive and dynamic than anything I have paddled recently. I got what I wanted in the boat design change, now I just need to dial in my down river fun paddling again. Doubt I would ever push past low water class 4 with it, still need another boat and that true half slice for anything pushing class 4 at normal water levels : - )
Its definitely on my list (and basically the top)...and I've almost thrown down on one a few times untested. Need to go to Golden River Sports and try one on the WW park there or something. I might have found a deal on one that was damaged in shipping and had to be welded but seems like the repair was well done...but its a few hours drive away and I haven't been able to make it up to have a look or pick it up. Good to hear its working for another big guy. At least for now I'll be sticking to Class III stuff with it... maybe Westwater being the hardest thing I might take it on. For harder then that I have my Ripper. Kinda thinking about throwing down on a Large Scorch too to complete the Pyranha dream fleet.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Its definitely on my list (and basically the top)...and I've almost thrown down on one a few times untested. Need to go to Golden River Sports and try one on the WW park there or something. I might have found a deal on one that was damaged in shipping and had to be welded but seems like the repair was well done...but its a few hours drive away and I haven't been able to make it up to have a look or pick it up. Good to hear its working for another big guy. At least for now I'll be sticking to Class III stuff with it... maybe Westwater being the hardest thing I might take it on. For harder then that I have my Ripper. Kinda thinking about throwing down on a Large Scorch too to complete the Pyranha dream fleet.
Sorry for the post hijack OP - again full slice boats rock and hopefully continue -nice to see some kayak talk on the kayaking turned rafting forum.

I was torn between the scorch and code. Went for the code and am super psyched but just picked it up last weekend. Hoping for some fall westwater/colorado/gates glory for testing before next spring. Havent paddled the ripper yet but it is on the list with the rewind, antix, and any of the other new lines from versus or waka but so hard to find locally. I miss my old Pyranha Everest and almost bought the scorch based on that, just wanted a little softer edges since we always seem to be low water these days.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I don't see myself getting into "the Mank" again...so the hard edges on the Scorch aren't a problem for me really. I think the creekiest thing I'd use it on would be Bailey or Clear Creek. Mostly just want it for days I just want to have an easy Class IV day and not have to worry about getting tail happy. Code seems like a really nice boat too. Kinda hate the current Dagger colors... enough to make it a consideration. I do really like their outfitting though. Take the outfitting of the Dagger and put in the Scorch and I think that is a pretty ideal setup for me. Kinda wish Dagger sold their outftting as a kit.

haha...sorry for the Hijack too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys definitely hijacked! There is an excellent review on YouTube by Wade Harrison with side by side comparison and back to back runs with the code and scorch! They are both winners and you can’t go wrong. Now vote or get out! Viva la mixmaster!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
haha...sorry about that. Definitely love Wade's videos.

I think I'd support another production run of the Mixmaster... but not sure if that particular boat needs a 2.0 version. I imagine the mold is still around and usable but not sure. Feels like if they thought it was gonna make them money they'd do a run again. Its hard to say where Jackson is going with EJ out of the picture. The Antix 2.0 seemed like a succesful boat...and the Zen's too. We'll see what comes out of the woodwork over the winter.

Dagger making the Nova and Super Nova seems logical since they haven't built a boat like that since the early 2000's. I think it would be kinda cool to do a longer version of a full slice too. A 8-9 foot slicey boat that normal people can fit in would be pretty neat (Soul Waterman 303 looked pretty cool but by all accounts I've heard...its another Corran sized boat i.e. fits light weight short people even though its 10' long). Perhaps with Dagger making the Nova boats it'll spur some interest in that category again.

I guess I'll vote for the thing that is closest to my view even though it doesn't really fit precisely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a believer in the full slice category! I think that with the 1/2 slice revolution the fullysliced category has a lot of potential... Let's see more cartwheels, squirts, and mystery moves!

I paddle my Loki more than any other boat in the quiver. The rockstar is great for park and play, and the 9rII is handy for trips and stepping it up. But, for mid run surf sessions and class IV capabilities the Loki is king.

My only concern with the mixmaster is it might not front surf as well without the continuous rocker...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts