Mountain Buzz banner

Missing Puppy - last seen @ gore fest

5K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  cstork 
#1 ·
Darby, my dog, is extremely special to me, and is missing. I am devastated..... We last saw her at about 11 am 8/20/05 at the Pumphouse Campgrounds between launch 1 & 2 during the Gore Fest event.

She is mostly white with tan ears and tan spots on her legs.

She has a disctinct marking at the base of her tail. Her tail is all white except for a quarter size tan spot at the base of her tail, almost on her behind.

She is 4 months old, and was last seen with a black collar (no tags). She is an english setter with a friendly demeanor.

If anyone noticed this dog at the campsite, please contact me @ 970-404-0442.

I live in Steamboat Springs, but will gladly drive how ever far is needed to pick her up.

Desperately in search of Darby!! Thank you.

#2 ·
Why wouldn't you have tags on your dog? Seems to me that would have been very very obvious and easy thing to do. I know my dog had his tags, and he was never off a leash for the entire time I was at GoreFest. I do hope you find her and that she gets home safe, but perhaps it would have been prudent to maybe take some steps before bringing a cute 4 month old puppy to a place that thousands of people are showing up to, many with dogs of their own. One definite place you might try is the BLM rangers, as they were being very strict about leash laws. I was amazed at the amount of dogs running about without a leash or any sign of their owner. It saddens me to see stuff like this happen, both for the owners and dogs. Lesson learned hopefully, and maybe it will press home to other people too.

JH

#5 ·
aww good luck finding her Val!!! I have a dog too and he used to get out of my yard occasionally and it was always SO scary to imagine that this time he might get hit by a car or something worse... Someone always found him though, and he was always fine. I hope that the same thing happens with your puppy!!!

Lauren

#6 ·
I am certainly kicking myself, there are so many other things that I should have done.

I have her tags on order, but I should have used one of my other dog's old tags, at least while we were camping. Both of my dogs were in the back of the truck in the camper shell.

We hiked for about 3 1/2 hours, when we returned the puppy was gone, but my other dog was still there??? I also shoul've locked the camper shell, but didn't think to do that either.

But yes, certainly lessons learned. I would still like to find her!! thanks for your concerns.

#7 ·
Sorry, that was a bit harsh, I just get a little irked when this kinda thing happens. Dogs get away and there are easy and cheap ways to assist getting them back, such as tags. I do truly hope that you get your dog back, and know the feeling. Mine has escaped on several occasions and I've always been very concerned for his well being. Just promise me that when you get her back that you get her some tags. Best of luck.

JH

p.s. I would truly try calling the rangers, they were being quite strict and forceful about many things, to include leash laws. I wouldn't put it past them to pick up loose dogs that didn't have an obvious owner. -JH

#9 ·
Was your dog stolen?

Really sorry for your situation.

This won't get your dog back, but consider micro shipping your dogs. If your dog is lost or nabbed somehow a vet/humane organization will find you. (had a friend who recovered 2 stolen dogs that way.)

Really hope your puppy shows up.
skm

#10 ·
Sarah's talking about implanting a Microchip just under the pet's skin that has an ID code that's read then the pet is taken to a new vet. Its worth it but just be aware that not all vets have the equipment to read the chip. Not guaranteed, but better than nothing if your pet's abducted and the collar & tags removed.

Also, at PetSmart and other places, for about $5, you can make custom tags that have your name and contact info on them.

Good luck getting your dog back,

--Andy

#13 ·
Electric Mayhem is right. For all all you enablers out there, get a clue. This is a person who did not look out for the dog. Its got nothing to do with sympathy or pity for the irresponsible owner. It seems most of you pity the owner while electric mayhem feels for the welfare of that dog.

Forget the dog sweety, I saw some old asian man frying it up in a pan down by the river.

Yours truly, The A-hole

#14 ·
Nice post, Anonymous pussy. Bet it made you feel like a million bucks when you clicked "submit", eh? You don't have the balls to say shit like that to your girlfriend/wife/stranger in person, so you do it anonymously online. Pussy.

Go do something constructive ... like stepping in front of a bus. Pussy.

#15 ·
It doesnt change the fact that this chick took a dog to Gore with no tags. You can fling as much shit as you want, it simply means you're standing in it. No it doesnt make me feel good about clicking submit you egotistical lightweight. There is a lost dog out there because someone didnt bother to take the correct steps to ensure that animal's safety.

If the purpose of attempting to insult me is meant to stir me up, you have failed. However, if the purpose of your weak verbal tirade is simply to show your weakness, you have succeeded. As Im sure you usually do.

Anonymous...uh no, many know who I am and if you dont watch your step, I am more than capable of teaching you a lesson you will never forget.

Hurling words is a device of the weak and feeble mind.
-Sun Tzu

#16 ·
A-hole, watch your tone man. Why is it everytime someone on this board is cursed, for good reason, they gotta come back with this battle of wits shit, I'm sure your a certified verbal assassin and all but Todd told you what we were all thinkin. Sometimes people just gotta call it like it is. Lay off the girl and the dog, I assure you she feels shitty enough, anyone wit a dog can understand. Even if they are flattulent, leg humping hounds! And dont be calling TG out like that, have you seen his work, he's cert. bad ass.

#17 ·
Yeah, we need self-righteous, "i-told-you-so", alpha male guys like you to make our community stronger, & to teach Valfromtheboat a thing or two, right? As if she didn't already admit her mistakes ... Thanks dick, you've mastered pointing out the obvious & made someone feel worse all at the same time.

Go away til you learn how to play nice, dick.

No more e-beatings, I'm tapping out, K, "sweety"?

#18 ·
I have ordered tags for the dog, and I am sure they are in the mail right now. She was either in the car or on a leash at all times. I thought she was safe in the car, but when we got back from hiking she was missing.

its fine to criticize how irresponsible it was not to have proper ID on the dog, but there is nothing I can do about that now, except look to the future. I met so many cool people at the fest I just thought I would put the buzz out there, in case someone noticed anything.

I am trying to stay positive and talk to rangers, place ads, call shelters and post notices.

I am definately not looking for pity, just my dog.

#19 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and to the kayak world. So far I have been so amazed a the kindness and compation of all I have met. I came on Mountainbuzz to yet again reach out to new people and I have heard so many amazing things about this site. Was I surprised at the self righteous attitudes of the few who berated this poor woman on the eticate of dog ownership. People make mistakes and if you read her post the dog was in her vehicle with her other dogs not roaming around loose. A 4 month old is more than likely not going to jump out of a truck much less leave her companions. Regardless, her dog is missing and she feels horrible. I am sure that you have made at least one mistake in your world and felt horrible about it. How sad for you if you had nobody to help you or lean on for support in your problem. Val was merely looking to her kayak family for some help. Then to offer violence, wow you are an amazing person with whom I would love to get to know, spend time with, and then maybe even kayak with you because I know that if I make a mistake on the river you will be there by my side saying deal with your mistake, you shouldn't of even made one.

#20 ·
Val, how did the dog get out of the camper shell, don't you have to unlatch the gait to the topper? Hope he turns up, might want to check with some of the local raft companies too.
A-hole, there was only one verbal assassin, that was The Chunderboy. Nobody cares who you are, just some wanna-be Chunderbiatch who swims class two, and makes up for it by being a prick on the buzz. Your probably sucking Electric-Mayhem's cock right now, you flaming hippies.

#21 ·
Anonymous...uh no, many know who I am and if you dont watch your step, I am more than capable of teaching you a lesson you will never forget.
Glad you stand behind your words anonymous or not. Please post your name, phone#, boat description & photo. I'm sure we'd all like to know who to avoid on the river.

Sure hope the dog turns up.

#24 ·
Ok, I was totaly not trying to be an asshole, just stating that it saddens me when stuff like this happens. It always reminds me of the time that I hit a dog with my car. He was a black lab and it was dark out and he just ran out in front of my car before I could even react. It didn't do much harm to my car, but I was heartbroken that I had taken the life of someones best friend. The dog lived at a house right next to the road, and to my horror I found the house empty of humans, but 4 other dogs were just running around the unfenced and untethered yard 30 feet from a high speed, high usage road. I wrote a note and left my number for the owner to call me. I just couldn't believe that someone could be stupid enough to let a bunch of dogs run around loose like that. It saddened me further to later see a sign posted for one of the other dogs that had gone missing from that residence.

So I guess as person who loves and enjoys the company of dogs, I just ask that people pay attention to what they do in regards to their companions. Dogs have always been an integral part of my life and they enrich it heavily, but we are responsible for them. Val, I hope you find your buddy soon and appologize for whatever harshness that may have come off in a previous post.

JH

p.s To the "A-hole", it ashames me that you used my post to post your bullshit. There is a difference between being frank and being a dick. While I do love dogs, I also have simpathy for people in Vals predicament. It seems that this might be one of those cases where it was dog theft more then dog loss, which is as mean and dispirited a thing as one can do. Despite agreeing with a bit of what you said, I still think you were out of line. -JH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.