Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody do Cheesman at the current level? If its still too low, what should we be wishing for?

cheers
Kent

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ran Cheeseman back a few years ago at about 250-300, the level seemed perfect. Not sure if lower would be OK. Everything is pretty deep, just by the nature of the granite and rounded rock.
Tim Kelley would know the minimum, as well as access times that were worked out with SP. We did the 2 hr hike around and it sucked.
Also I am not sure if it has been run since the Hayman fire. Watchout for wood.

Steve.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the beta. If I remember correctly Tim hiked in there earlier this year and said that the river wasn't really affected by the fire. Been pretty bored lately, would love to see this one go. If it does go where can one find info about SP entrance times.

thanks
Kent

·
Registered
374 Posts
TK works for American Whitewater (I believe). I think he is the Safety coord. or something. He was our guide and has been down that canyon probably more than anyone... If it runs, I'll make the trek...

Steve.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey Kent. I thought Tim Kelley posted all the access info on a thread concerning cheeseman earlier this year on the buzz. If not, I might have seen it on the AW site or boatertalk.

Shoulder's getting better, the range of motion exercises are sooo fun! (notice the sarcasm). I'll be around for another week and a half or so. I'll go hike around by cheeseman...

Alex

found it - check this link:

http://mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=5109&highlight=cheeseman

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awww yes the budding Lawyer with a natural inclination towards successful research projects. Thanks Alex. Good to hear the shoulders getting better.

Kent

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was in there fishing about three weeks ago and I think the level was around 120. . .not runnable. I think at twice that flow you might be able to go, but it would be bony in places. I was coming from the bottom and only got up as far as Dos Chaos. Slide for Life is runnable at any level.

Two important things to note:
1.) The Corral Creek take-out access is gated since the fire. They're starting to open some of these gates, but not this one, yet. An enterprising person with a little creativity and a few cans of Coors can resolve this problem. . .but I'm not going to post something unethical on this site. The other access is via long, gnarly jeep roads from river right. Saw several jeep guys doing this and it looks like fun, but maybe time intensive since I think you have to come all the way from the Deckers/West-something side. I've done that once before to go climbing before Hayman and it was an adventure. . .I even saw a man standing on his head talking to deer :shock: WTF, dude needs to cut down.

2.) The water is super-warm! Must come off the top of the resevoir this time of year. You could literally sit in it for as long as you'd like.

2b.) Lot's of fish and they like Mepp's #0 spinners and it's pretty in there, no fire damage so long as you don't look too far above the river.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts