Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NRS Bighorn frame with a deluxe footbar for my Minimax. It is great for doing overnight trips, and it rows well as a day trip boat with no gear. I am a bit hesitant to run bigger water with it without it loaded with weight because having an empty bay up front leaves the stern pretty heavily loaded. I am thinking I could remedy that by moving the cross bars around so it is set up like a a cat frame where the rower sits in the first bay. This would get my weight fairly well centered in the boat, but it also moves the oars forward of the center point.

Is there a downside here that I am not seeing? Should the forward seating position work as well in the small raft as it does on a sport cat?

Kyle

·
Registered
360 Posts
The perk of those boats is that they spin on a dime so I think moving your rowing position forward might compromise that. Last summer I was taught the trick of putting a five gallon water jug in the front of the boat. It barely affects maneuverability and makes a wild difference punching holes. I have pretty much the same frame setup and if I am not using gear I typically leave the thwarts in and use that as the footbar.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I leave the thwarts in and try to get my seat as far forward as is comfortable using the front thwart as a footbar. At 165lb sometimes the front end still feels a little light so I'll throw the daybag and other stuff up front to help even it out. A 5 gal jug would work, but i'm too lazy to bother. You're going to be moving around alot anyway, highsiding, ect in bigger features.... body "english" helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts