Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure I'd want that sideways in a hole! Would be fun with a bunch of folks though...if they were good swimmers :) !
I was looking for a small boat that was easy to roll, and really like Hyside's 12 foot outfitter...Went another direction, but it was a close second...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hyside said it was designed with the Nolichucky and Chatooga in mind.... the boat is 1 foot longer and 6 inches narrower than a Aire Puma... I see your point about its side surf capabilities, but I think this would be very fun boat, in the mini-raft realm!!

But yeah im with ya. Hyside and Sotar are my favorite boats. I have a Sotar SL IK and I love it! would really love a Sotar Raft but its not in the budget yet... theres a purple used 14 foot Sotar on their website that I would love to own!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ok, the Hot Dog Bun?

The mini max does like to get get sideways.... maybe the extra length on the "bun" would help it punch thru and get out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's what I was thinking oar frame. ,,, plus it would just be a hoot to be able to take 7 people on a mini raft! lol.

·
Registered
462 Posts
WANT!

I had no ide this existed. This would be perfect for some runs around here and have been waiting for one of the old skinny pumas to come up for sale.

"The Hotdog Bun"...now that's funny, because one float I had in mind for this boat some of us have nicknamed "The Hotdog run".

·
Registered
994 Posts
WANT!

I had no ide this existed. This would be perfect for some runs around here and have been waiting for one of the old skinny pumas to come up for sale.

"The Hotdog Bun"...now that's funny, because one float I had in mind for this boat some of us have nicknamed "The Hotdog run".
Aire Puma, frame, oars - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Old skinny puma for sale! Posted recently. Do it!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So since I've actually run one of these as a prototype during the 2013 rafting season on Clear Creek I thought I'd contribute my thoughts.

CC is run lower commercially than both the Noli and Chattooga, it gets thru skinny sluts (southern fried creekin' reference), but it's not worth much else. As started previously, you wouldn't want it sideways in a hole, it's terribly hard to dig out of a solid side surf, kinda fun if you're only concerned with your safety. The wiener boat is pretty tippy and I've even seen it pinned in a pinball/tight slot situation. They don't track like a mini max or a regular hyside, more like a shredder/cataraft. I imagine that could be attributed to it's intention as a "creek" raft. I also found it took far more effort to pivot from the stern than a full-size raft with comparable crew.

Having done Clear Creek from Dumont to 260.5 in one of these things from 400 down to 100 cfs for a total of approx. 100mi. During 15-20 commercial and recreational trips I feel like it's design and intention are novel but very niche driven and while I'd run anything in a mini-max I wouldn't feel secure running solid class IV or big water in this thing. Fun, but not the ideal boat for my preferred style of boating.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really appreciate that first hand info Travesaurus.

makes me glad to have my mini max... but recently I cant stop thinking about adding a bigger boat in the fleet.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Matt,
If you want a bigger boat, the go big with a 14 or 16. You already have the ducky and the Maxx. The Maxx is great for Slaughter House, Numbers, Bogan, Upper Eagle, Clear Creek etc. Get the big boat for overnights and large volume (which we may not have this summer). No need to get a Delorian when you already have a Porche.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks brendo.... ive all ready sold the double ducky , and I have no intention of buying this hsyide boat... just thought it was cool... and maybe would have considered it when I bought the mini max if I knew about it... im still happy with the mini max , and I don't think I am going to buy a bigger boat... I am just itching for one... that's what happens when we go a month without snow... lol.

yeah I just really want a bigger boat for partying with a big group, overnights... and for when Shoshone is raging high.... last year it was over 5 grand for more than a month.... and I want a bigger boat for that.... but not realistically gonna buy one anytime soon.. and if I did id def be looking for a 14er... thanks for input though buddy!

and lets take the super puma down Shoshone at big water ( that we hopefully get) this year ! cheers man . talk soon! ill hit you up this spring!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Aire Puma, frame, oars - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Old skinny puma for sale! Posted recently. Do it!!!

Oh jeez, wish you hadn't pointed that out....I've already hit my self imposed limit of buying 1 boat per year...then again technically I bought it last year (dec 23rd)...

They'd have to come down about AT LEAST $500 for me to even take a second look though....more like $800 to really pique my interest.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Haha nice, yeah I agree she's a bit pricey. I wanna try some this quiver you keep taking about. We'll have to get out on something this spring.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Haha nice, yeah I agree she's a bit pricey. I wanna try some this quiver you keep taking about. We'll have to get out on something this spring.

Definitely bud....just gimme a buzz. That boat would be nice on the Little/ Big Sandy too! I've been trying to do more floating up your way as it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts