Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions on or personal experience with Selway Fabrications Mini Bank toilet system? I see that it doesn't have a tank like the bigger version. From the photos the lid looks like it will be secure and the cleaning system is the same as the big model. Since I don't get on many large trips anymore the smaller size is what got me interested. Is it too short? Will it meet requirements for most Western rivers and Grand Canyon? Any problems that you may have encountered with this groover?

Thanks in advance!

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Can't imagine why you would buy a toilet system for the Grand. Rent the system from the company doing your shuttle and let them take it away at the take out and clean it. Now that's money well spent. Having someone else clean up 256 poops priceless.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Mini Bank must be new. That looks like a great size compared to the River Bank. My buddy has a River Bank and it's super stable to poop in but it's BIG to rig. I like the looks of the mini.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I thought about getting one, but decided against it based on size & price. I was looking for a small toilet for small boat & kayaking/3-4 day trips. It's a nice looking design and should meet requirements (not sure about the GC). It it's very tall though, and doesn't have an inner tank, but can be cleaned out like the bigger River Bank. For my small boat & kayak trips, a bag system is acceptable, so I'm going that route.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have used the Mini-bank several times.

It's a low sit.

The hole is adequate but not generous, much like sitting on an eco-safe.

You need a "wrench" (notched plywood to fit recesses in lid) to turn the lid and some patience to get the lid off. It fits snugly and can be challenging to pull it out of the hole, usually in the most urgent of circumstances.

Our group didn't think it would work in a SCAT Machine, the outer lid would get in the way.

Other than those criticisms, I think it is good tool to have in the tool box. It's small enough to rig most places. Which makes it convenient as a day groover. Large enough to handle a small group for many days. 4 gallons of capacity, I think.

RV clean out is easy.

Durable

For what it is, I think it does very well.

Full discloser: I own a full size River Bank and think they're the best overall groover. I have also received excellent customer service when I have requested information and help from Selway Fab

11 Posts
Mini-Bank

Hey guys,
Nate here from SelwayFab. We love all feedback, I'm rarely on MB, but came across this thread and thought I'd pop in and chat. I love all feedback and ideas for improvement. We saw a need with more and more self-support IKers and canoers so we took a stab at a dedicated groover for that market.

We had several outfitters from Idaho and Oregon weigh in on the design, one of their important goals was off the shelf replaceable parts, as their hard working guides sometimes loose parts in the fray. We went with an off the shelf deck hatch as the main point of entry, and boy is it tough to open at first. They do break in eventually...

We are working with the vendor of the deck hatches to have them modify their mold to add a check-hatched pattern on the top-inside of the lid to add some grip (think pistol grip). Tight is good for a seal, but terrible in an emergency.

These Minis are definitely not SCAT machine compatible. I personally find SCATs to be disgusting and always use the RV clean out, much more sanitary.

Interestingly enough, approx same gallons as the full size RB, however as a guy, I wouldn't test it...

Thanks for considering our products. I hope this is OK that I jump into your conversation. Again, in my opinion, there is no such thing as negative feedback.

Nate

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nate,

How many gallons is the mini? Also, can you post a picture of the back section (RV clean-out)? Seriously intrigued that this may fill my requirements for 'mini' trips.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nate, thanks for chiming in.

Always good to hear from the manufacturers about the intended vision of a specific product.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the minibank. I like it, good for small group overnights and small enough to be rigged in our puma with ease.
The hole IS small. So small that, as a guy, leaves no option for peeing in the groover...basically you can't fit your junk inside while you sit. Seemed a little awkward the first time I used it, but I'm used to the process now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nate/others-

Other than the difficulty in opening, what are the minuses of the Minibank compared to the Riverbank II? I can't tell if it has a pressure relief valve?

I was trying to compare the Minibank to something like the 4 Corners River Sports' Coyote groover:
https://www.riversports.com/rs/prod...et-System-Portable-Camp-River-Toilets-Groover

I am still tempted to go with a rocket box setup, but it would require a reworking of my raft layout.

11 Posts
Tom, I got your call, I'll call you back tonight when I get home.

So everyone knows, neither the RB2 or the Minibank have a pressure relief valve. We recommend off-gassing it through the garden hose cap prior to opening and leaving the cap vented while closing the lid that way you aren't fighting internal pressure when opening or closing the main hatch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
what are the minuses of the Minibank compared to the Riverbank II?
Less capacity, if they are the same volume I don't see how you could make it all fit with out things getting gross.

Not as comfortable to sit/use.

My first impression of the coyote is the wonky seat/tube that looks like it could be a sanitation problem. Square corners for cleaning. The hose bib looks like it isn't very well protected. All conjecture since I don't have first hand experience

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys,
Nate here from SelwayFab. We love all feedback, I'm rarely on MB, but came across this thread and thought I'd pop in and chat. I love all feedback and ideas for improvement.

We went with an off the shelf deck hatch as the main point of entry, and boy is it tough to open at first. They do break in eventually...

We are working with the vendor of the deck hatches to have them modify their mold to add a check-hatched pattern on the top-inside of the lid to add some grip (think pistol grip). Tight is good for a seal, but terrible in an emergency.

Nate
Nate- Is what you're trying to do with the hatch something like the Coyote's or the lid on Cascade Outfitters' Mojave boxes?
Small Mojave Box | Cascade Outfitters

It looks pretty similar to a standard Gamma lid?

11 Posts
OK, so this is a far trickier question to answer than it may seem from the question. We consult with two different material engineers and both of them, independently from another, warned us against this manufacturing technique. Where you use an off the self plug (gamma-lid) that is then threaded into a non-gamma unit. If the Coyote or Mojave is using gamma's snap in ring, like you would use to convert a 5-gal bucket to a gamma lid, they are good to go. However if they are roto-molding the threads into their box which is likely low-link poly, then using a high-link poly or some other harder material for the plugs, their boxes will eventually fail to the stronger material of the gamma lid. As long as the threads are the same material as the plug all is well, or so I'm instructed by people far smarter than I.

On the Mini we decided to use a proven off the shelf marine hatch for ease of customer replacement. The threaded ring is through-bolted, with a 1/4" silicon bead to ensure water/air tightness per the manufactures instillation specks.

Having said all this, I've never handled either the Coyote or the Mojave, I'll head down to Cascade Outfitters and check out the Mojave box, I know they have them down there. Sorry this was such a long response.

11 Posts
OK so I just researched the Mojave, they indicate their box material to be poly-pro, and gamma's are poly-eth. Poly-pro is a harder material than poly-eth so I'd say that is a sound design. The plug will fail eventually but it's $8 at ho-do. Better than the $100 box failing. Looks like Coyote is poly-eth, same as ours, not sure about their closure system though. Curious who builds those, I'd never seen it before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts