Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Moss Springs is the most efficient trailhead to Red’s Ranch, which is all I’ve done. Though I hear good things about the river above there. Wood is the primary concern. May is the best month.

·
Registered
882 Posts
4 of us hiked in from Buck Creek trailhead last July 8. ~11 mile hike IIRC, over Burger Pass, under China Cap. Lots of gorgeous granite up high. Still lots of snowfields to cross when we went.

Plant Sky Mountain Ecoregion Snow

Diurnal swing was 1000-1100 for us. I wouldn't want more. It was moving really fast, and there was wood everywhere. We did lots of creative ducking and limboing, and probably had to get out to portage 6-7 times.

Water Plant community Watercraft Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Above Red's Ranch there was lots of fast III, a fair bit of legit read and run IV, and a few that maybe even pushed into IV+ at these flows. No V.

Water Water resources Fluvial landforms of streams Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

I would imagine that at ~600cfs everything would feel a grade easier.

There is one bedrock gorge that I cannot imagine it being possible to stumble into. Riverwide ledge/horizon line at the entrance. Easy scout.

Water Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fluvial landforms of streams Watercraft

Below Red's it was fast, continuous II-II+ all the way into Minam.

Fantastic trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts