Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a piece of HDPE that I need to cut in order to fit it to my frame. Basically all four corners need to be notched and then I need 4 strap holes to hold it to the frame. I also will need to bevel the edges as they are rather sharp. I have never cut this stuff before and hear nightmares about melting, chipping etc. I have a Jig saw, circular saw, router, orbital sander, 4 inch grinder, and a hack saw. Looking for tips, suggestions, do's and don'ts and the like. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Decks

I built decks for my frame using 5/8" poly. I made the long cut with a circular saw, short cuts and notches with a jig saw. I then used a 1/4" round with a router to round the edges. For the strap slots I started with 1/4' inch holes drilled a little wider than the desired strap width, ran the jig saw between the holes, then ran the router down the slot to round the edges. I am very pleased with how they turned out and found the material remarkably easy to work with. Good luck

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yup, treat it just like wood. No nightmares necessary.

The resulting snow storm is a little messy, so work where it won't get into everything you own AND you can sweep it up easily.

·
Registered
212 Posts
HDPE

Regal - Peidmont inEnglewood, Laird Plastics, SS plastic
it's 4-5 bucks a square foot, worth it, lasts a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts