Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this brand new Kokatat MASS drysuit. I really wanted a gore-tex dry suit but didn't want to pony up 1200 or buy used so i went to ebay and found this.

According to the seller(and condition of suit) it appears to be brand new but in the repair kit I found the paper to be aged and zipper wax from 2009. The suit overall appears to be in amazing condition, I did have to lube the zipper and fix the zipper pulls but no other problems. It has inner suspenders, gore-tex socks, relief zipper, and about 10 large stretchable pockets on the arms and legs.

Should I be concerned with having gaskets from potentially 2009? I am wondering if I should replace just as a precaution... This is my first dry suit so I don't have anything else to compare the gaskets too but they feel slick, easily stretch, and have no signs of wear or use... (see pictures below)

If anyone has one of these and knows more information about these suits please share it as there isn't really much online that I've found about people using this suit.

Attachments

·
My name isn't Will
642 Posts
Examine the seals. Are they supple? Any checking/cracking? If it were me, I'd paddle it. I'd probably treat them with 303 first if it's been that long, but if it's been stored away from light and electric motors, the seals might still last years. I had a couple seals replaced on a dive suit a few years ago. They had some checking from age, and I was going on a multi-day trip. One of the guys at the dive said he'd just dive it as-is, but of course they were happy to switch them out.

I think one of my drytops has wrist seals that are a decade old. The neck seal is newer, but the wrist seals have life left. I am trying to remember if I've ever replaced the wrist seals in my semi-dry top. It has no neck seal. The wrist seals are still supple and keep the water out.

Enjoy your new suit!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cool find!
As Will said, I would 303 all the gaskets. Then stretch them all around and look for weak spots - they will show up as a web of tiny cracks/holes. Then its time to replace. Sometimes its a place where the rubber was creased, sometimes its just a bad spot (sunscreen?).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Add me to the list of people who bought that suit. I've had mine since 2017, replaced all gaskets at some point. The thing is amazing, however it's not super visible depending on the color of the water. Make sure you have a noticeable PFD and helmet if you use it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good score. I remember buying a Stohlquist dry suit like 20 years ago on the third rack at Sierra. The tag said "neck gasket leaks." It was like $100. I took it out and tested it and it worked great!.Congrat's - It feels good to get a good deal!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to work for kokatat and can vouch that you got yourself a great suit there. If you look under the wrist Velcro you should find the size tag and date of manufacture. A lot of units got these through the years and never used them so the odds are good this one is unused. I’ll echo what others have said about the gaskets to do a simple stretch test with your fingers and see if there’s any cracking on the edges or other spots that look thin. I have one of these that’s delaminated so it’s no good for boating but makes a great coverall when things need fixing under the house.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I find it Kokatat gaskets don’t last as long as NRS gaskets, but I would still run it until they fail.
NRS wrist gaskets are a direct swap, NRS neck gaskets are a different shape and take a little bit of work, but are worth the effort.

Wipe your gaskets with 303, but do not soak them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I actually have purchased several Kokotat military suits. Found a guy on Craigslist selling them for $200 each, I think I bought 7 of them or something like that. Mine are not the same as yours. The one posted here is a "MASS" suits, mine are nomex suits (same material as firefighter's gear) made for military pilots that fly over water - so mine are waterproof, and fire retardant as well, you know...in case the river catches fire. Anyway, they have some sort of clever military name, but I honestly have forgotten what it is.

They are much thicker material than a typical suit and mine are black, which looks amazing, but yea....low visibility in the water. Mine also have areas for patches, which I've added some flair too.

Plant Tree Calabaza People in nature Winter squash

*ONION ADDED FOR PRIVACY REASONS...DUH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually have purchased several Kokotat military suits. Found a guy on Craigslist selling them for $200 each, I think I bought 7 of them or something like that. Mine are not the same as yours. The one posted here is a "MASS" suits, mine are nomex suits (same material as firefighter's gear) made for military pilots that fly over water - so mine are waterproof, and fire retardant as well, you know...in case the river catches fire. Anyway, they have some sort of clever military name, but I honestly have forgotten what it is.

They are much thicker material than a typical suit and mine are black, which looks amazing, but yea....low visibility in the water. Mine also have areas for patches, which I've added some flair too.

View attachment 82637

*ONION ADDED FOR PRIVACY REASONS...DUH.
Haha! Ole onion 🧅 I like it better than the blob!! Hey you wouldn’t have a large one you’d part with to a veteran guide/firefighter would you?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Haha! Ole onion 🧅 I like it better than the blob!! Hey you wouldn’t have a large one you’d part with to a veteran guide/firefighter would you?
Ah... just saw this today. Unfortunately, I sold all of my extras off to other friends years ago. I have two left, a large and a medium, both of which I wear depending on how many base layers I need. Sorry!

Reactions: Mtnrider28

·
My name isn't Will
642 Posts
@jsheglund

Thanks for the alert. It's on the way to Oregon. I sure hope it has no leaks; description said practically brand new.

No double tunnel so it will be good for rafting and canoeing and I can save my GMER for kayaking. Even has the brass zipper which I still prefer over the TiZip ones. Eventually the new plastic ones will have a good enough track record I'll be just as happy with them; they do have some advantages. I'm just old school I guess.

If it's as advertised, it was a very nice deal.

Reactions: jsheglund

·
My name isn't Will
642 Posts
That suit arrived to my PO Box; I picked it up today.

There are no labels inside indicating manufacturer, but there was a manual in one of the pockets, and it is indeed a Kokatat. Since it had a paper manual in the pocket, I'm assuming it's new old stock and never used. There appears to be a little wear on the inside of the relief zipper, but I am not concerned. All the seam tape looks pretty new.

The zippers were very stiff to operate, and the T-grip attached to the zipper pull came apart while I was trying to unzip it. I can almost certainly fix the zipper pull attachment. I put on some zipper lube, and that seems to have made the zipper operate more smoothly.

The material ~seems~ to be thicker than my GMER. It probably isn't really. It's probably just still stiff from being new. The DWR still works just fine. Even if it's a little thicker, I'm OK with that. I don't expect it will add any additional thermal protection, so it should still work with warmer air temperatures and cold water.

The only thing that was a surprise is that it's more of a semi-dry suit than a dry suit. The neck seal is neoprene rather than latex. I reckon I'll "go jump in a lake" and see how dry it is. I'm thinking that in all but the nastiest swims it might do just fine. But I want to stay dry even in a nasty swim! So maybe my local dive shop (or Kokatat) can retrofit it with a real seal.

The extra padding on the knees may be just perfect for an open canoe. There are Velcro-secured flaps over the main zipper and the relief zipper to protect them. That's nice. The pockets on the arms and legs have elastic to keep them low profile, but they expand to hold larger items. The pockets have drain holes on the bottom that have mesh inside to keep small items from falling out.

It has suspenders which I'm used to using on SCUBA drysuits, but not paddling/rowing suits. The suspenders are great for keeping the suit up before you put your arms/neck in. For my paddling suits, I always just tied the sleeves around my waist. There's no hardware on a paddling suit like on a diving suit (inflation and dump valves). Nice touch; not sure how useful they'll be. I might remove them, or more likely not.

Thanks again @jsheglund for pointing me to this suit. I hope it serves me well for a couple decades.
I tend to like higher-viz colors for safety equipment. Someone I know wears ridiculously loud colors because she once needed a rescue, and her subdued colors made it harder for SAR to find her. The coyote brown color of this suit worries me just a little bit. Good thing my PFD is a bright color. There's a similar sized suit for sale on EBay right now, but it's in much rougher shape and looks like it needs work before using. Like new seals and cleaning up a bunch of grease all over the Velcro. I wouldn't have bought that suit, but the one I got seems like it will be a good tool.

Now I just need to find some silly patches to put on the Velcro on the upper arms. Any ideas?

·
Registered
151 Posts
glad it was a successful purchase, ebay is always a gamble! I wish mine had the semi dry neck gasket! mine had latex that i had to replace.

here are some spoof merit badges. might find one worth a giggle. velcro backing option too. Products

·
My name isn't Will
642 Posts
Ha. Yeah, I think I'll find something silly to stick on the side of the suit at some point. Why not. I am sort of tempted to glue the hook portion of Velcro on a couple koozies so I can stick a beer on each arm. You know, just in case of emergency.

I took the time to hop in to the suit. Fits like expected. It looks like even though it's "new" it's actually about 18 years old. The neck seal seems to be fairly snug. I'll be curious how dry it really is. Less prone to damage than latex. That said, the wrist gaskets are shot. Not a surprise since it's almost two decades old. One has holes in it and splits at the end. The other probably will fall apart the next time I look sideways at it. A trip to the dive shop is in order.

It is,definitely GoreTex fabric. I wore it around the house for a while; breathes just fine.

I found the other two small pockets on the lower leg; total of six pockets. They all have a place to attach anything that goes in them so they won't go far if dropped. Plenty of storage for sure. Another indication it's NOS is there was a repair kit in one of the pockets. Tear Aid Type A plus an assortment of GoreTex patches and a tiny tube of Aqua Seal plus a little McNett zipper lube. Over cuffs are well made and protect the wrist gaskets well. Outer collar protects inner neck seal. The flaps that go over the GoreTex socks are high enough I can put a pair of Boggs boots underneath and still have the gaiter cover it completely. They probably would keep most or all water out even if I mess up and stick my boot a little too deep in the water.

If you see another one, post it so someone else can enjoy it. I'll do the same if I see one. Definitely worth three Franklins.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
My name isn't Will
642 Posts
Upon further inspection, there's another repair I'll need.

On all my drysuits, there's a little flap of material that's the same as the seal behind the zipper teeth at each end of the zipper. They are there to make sure the zipper ends don't get over stressed when donning or doffing. I'm guessing that this suit was stored somewhere HOT and the adhesive failed. Two have come off, and the other two will just need to be peeled off and reglued. I'll probably just use aqua seal after cleaning with some solvent.

I wish I had a way to tell how old the suit is. There's no serial number on it. Kokatat won the sole source contract in 2020, but I don't know if they had a previous contract. The user manual has a date stamp "REV. A 07/14/2004," so it's possible it's been in storage for 18 years. There's no date crimped on the tube of Aquaseal, but it has the old white label from when before McNett changed names to Gear Aid in 2016/2017.

If the glue is failing, I might change out the neck seal just out of an abundance of caution.

Anyone else that's been using these suits have any issues with similar glue failure?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts